web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I am in charge of installing a new phone system. I really want to use the existing phone wires. Is there a system that anyone would recommend to do this?

Thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

How is the wiring run? If it's all home runs back to a central location most any standard phone system will work.

Retired phone dude
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by home_pcc
I am in charge of installing a new phone system. I really want to use the existing phone wires. Is there a system that anyone would recommend to do this?

Thanks

Bill is dead on. What is the current system?

OP Offline
Thanks, its an old comdial system. They really want to upgrade to a newer system but do not want to run new phone wires. I had two local companies come in and give an estimate. They both suggest NEC systems that will just plug right into the existing wiring system. Unfortunately you have to be a dealer to get these systems.

Id like to buy a system that I can install and configure. Im an IT guy by trade. Can you recommend a complete system that I can install myself? I really don't want to run CAT5 through out the whole building if phone wires already exist and can be used.
Thanks!

You don't need CAT 5 for a standard phone system. Can you give us an idea of what they are looking for as far as features go. You'll find most systems will have a dealer requirement unless you go with an older system. There are systems you can buy, but they sure aren't for someone who's never done it. Is this for a company you work for or are you doing it as part of your IT work for an exiting customer?

You're not doing anyone a favor if you aren't familiar with installation and programming of phone systems. Their are some DIY small systems out there that have pretty nice features.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
The biggest feature they really need now is caller ID. It would be nice to have a voicemail that you can send to email also. This is part of my IT business for a customer. I have a buddy who is a phone wiz but since he is not a dealer, he cant seem to get any analog systems. I'm confident that if I can find a system to work on our existing lines, he and I can install and configure it.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by home_pcc
The biggest feature they really need now is caller ID. It would be nice to have a voicemail that you can send to email also. This is part of my IT business for a customer. I have a buddy who is a phone wiz but since he is not a dealer, he cant seem to get any analog systems. I'm confident that if I can find a system to work on our existing lines, he and I can install and configure it.

Are you billing them for this?? If so do them a favor and have them hire a phone guy to work on their phones. These questions you are asking are a perfect example of why they should do it!

There are so many little nuances to properly designing and installing a phone system that it takes years to accumulate the knowledge needed to do it well. Of course you can probably do it but will it be done well and are they spending their money wisely hiring someone who lacks basic knowledge of the trade?

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Agree with John and Bill. Bring in a pro for your customer.
Your way over your head.

While it's true that any person can buy a so-called "plug & play" telephone system, my question for you is "why would you want to?" Why would you assume that because the voltage probably won't kill you, you can just saunter into some other person's line of business and install a system yourself? Is it because you're an IT guy and telephone systems are pretty much the same thing as computers, except simpler? Ever wonder why you need to be a dealer to buy the stuff your customer needs?

Do you also plan to propose to do HVAC work for the customer? The color code is pretty simple, Ive heard. Outdoor lighting? Driveway gates? Not much to it, actually. Just bury some wires, pour some cement footings, hang the gates, grease the fittings, and voila.

Do you plan to take out your own appendix, or your friend's wisdom teeth?

Do you know what a "sleeve" is? How about a "tip"? How about a "ring"? Do you know why twisted pairs are twisted? Do you know why some pairs are twisted at a different rate from others? Are you familiar with "NEXT"? Can you describe what "IDC" stands for? Can you discuss the differences between a side-tone telephone circuit and an anti-sidetone telephone circuit? Can you explain how a T1 line works, and how to trouble-shoot one when it doesn't?

Are you a licensed electrician or telecom technician?

Are you familiar with bonding? Grounding? Primary and secondary protection? Are you conversant with the sections in the NEC that have to do with communications circuits?

Does your customer embrace the concept of an amateur fiddling with his communications system? I may be a dinosaur, but I am still under the belief that businesses need reliable telecom to function. Can you provide 24/7/365 support after the installation? Can you speak intelligently to a LEC or a CLEC about service issues? Do you know how to prevent hacking?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Admin
Admin
Just to amplify the "you're in way over your head", any phone system can handle Caller ID display to the phones, and I suppose there are some systems that have "voice mail to email" capabilities, you have been sucked into the "digital PC based" hole. Off the top of my head, I can think of about 3 systems that you don't have to be a dealer to install, but you damn well better know what you're doing.

Clearly you don't so I suggest with the others that you hire someone who knows what they're doing. Your "friend" isn't doing you any favors.

Carl

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,595 Shoretel
189,481 CTX100 install
187,631 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 143 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024