Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#582060 12/16/14 10:05 AM
OP Offline
I work at a steel mill, doing all the telephone support. Most of the lines are punched down on 66 blocks or BIX and even a few terminal posts. My problem is with the 66 and BIX blocks.

These are installed in home made steel (natuarlly) boxes with no seals, no matter whether they are inside or out. I've got a ton of corrosion problems.

Is there any way to clean the corrosion off of these 66 blocks? If not, is there anything I can put on them to waterproof them after I replace the bad ones. I know they aren't going to spring for new boxes so I'm going to have to make do with the crap I've got.

Terry
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by tlsmith1000
I work at a steel mill, doing all the telephone support. Most of the lines are punched down on 66 blocks or BIX and even a few terminal posts. My problem is with the 66 and BIX blocks.

These are installed in home made steel (natuarlly) boxes with no seals, no matter whether they are inside or out. I've got a ton of corrosion problems.

Is there any way to clean the corrosion off of these 66 blocks? If not, is there anything I can put on them to waterproof them after I replace the bad ones. I know they aren't going to spring for new boxes so I'm going to have to make do with the crap I've got.

I wouldn't waste my time cleaning them - they are inexpensive and you would probably spend more time on labor / salary than the cost to replace them.

No, no way to save the corroded blocks. Question is what to replace them with. You have to treat it like OSP but much depends on how the blocks were used. If it's a simple distribution of something like a 25 pair to individual drops I would say just splice with UYs. But if it's more complicated you will have to do some work and spend some money.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
Thanks! Spending money is something rare around here so I'll go with the splice. It's a 25 pair drop that runs 100 yards to three more 66 blocks in boxes before it runs to a shed with the phone. Don't ask why there are so many boxes with no other drops, I haven't yet figured that out. My guess is that they had a few spools of cable with a few hundred feet and decided to use it up rather than buy new.

Anyway, of these 25 pair only 2 are used, a phone and a fax. A couple splices and I can forget this ever happened.

Terry
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
tismith 1000, Welcome aboard! Just a clarification here. Since you are a newbie to this forum, Hal has recommended UYs because they contain a weather resistant gel.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

OP Offline
Thanks, Dave. I've got a bunch I can use, I just never thought of it. I was worried about maintaining the infrastructure the way it is. I don't really want to replace the 66 block as the problem will just come back once it gets as wet as the one I have now.

You should see some of the mess I've come across. I'm always asking myself "What were they thinking?"

Terry
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Can you post some pictures in the Pictures of Ugly Work topic in this forum eh

I Love FEATURE 00
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Last time that I had to deal with that problem, after terminating I put Vaseline on the BIX blocks. No problem since.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
OP Offline
Originally Posted by dexman
Can you post some pictures in the Pictures of Ugly Work topic in this forum eh

I don't think I should even try. This is a steel mill and they have extreemly paranoid about photography.

Terry
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Ah..Ok...I was hoping to see how the 66 blocks look. No worries. smile

I Love FEATURE 00
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,423 Shoretel
189,186 CTX100 install
187,432 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, nonameyet), 116 guests, and 430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024