web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Technically speaking, NFPA 72 8.5.3.2.1.4 is the NFPA requirement for communication services which can be, on the second line, unconventional telephone service. HOWEVER, the AHJ, in my particular instance, required two POTS lines, no jack and no sharing of service. So, even if the National Code is clear, everyone is subject to the local AHJ requirements.

Checking NFPA, I am told that section 8.5.3.2.1.4 is being re-written to include non telephone sources for communication including web based connections.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

HOWEVER, the AHJ, in my particular instance, required two POTS lines, no jack and no sharing of service.

Wonder how he feels about cable modems and the demise of copper.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Sadly, manufactures of this type of eq, (alarm sys, etc.), will need to develope eq to work with today's technically. Which of course is IP.

What I've been seeing more and more is cellular backup. I don't think IP is allowed for a class A fire system.

Nothing beats the reliability of a couple of copper lines. While it may no longer be five nines because of the new generation that maintains it, today's technology is garbage because nobody knows or cares about reliabilty and quality anymore. All they care about is can they access Facebook and text their friends. As long as they can "it's working great".

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
@hbiss - Nearing 50 now and I believe, in general, that Americans have been conditioned to settle for less quality. With wireless phones, for example, it is almost a joke how we get dropped, shrug our shoulders, and call again. We settle for inferior goods from foreign countries because we are not willing to pay for quality. I will admit wiring has never been my strong suit in this industry but it is fairly neat, labeled on both sides, tested, and run to standard. My jaw drops when I see some wiring job I lost to a low bidder. Of course they can't fix anything because it is a mess and splice to splice to splice... I think we are seeing the long term trend here.

Customers want reliability until they have to pay for it. Joe Cabler out of his trunk can put in phones, data, and internet for half the price of the old fart that doesn't know technology. I laugh to myself when that customer finally decides to do it right after going through a couple of the hosted solutions out there.

I am not against hosted. I think, when properly implemented, it is another tool of the trade. We have sites where TDM is still the best solution because they have perfectly good cabling. The trunker peddles IP koolaid and knocks the old stuff. I come in and say, I can actually do this TDM, IP, whatever. I am offering a solution for YOU, not trying to fit you to the latest and greatest. Decide what you think is best. It is a good thing I make my living as a tech because I would surely starve as a salesman. Rant over~ Mike

Thank you for a good post...

Michael Meyer
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Some municipalities are switching to wireless systems to monitor fire alarm panels. The old copper cables that connect to the familiar Gamewell pull boxes are being abandoned. Come to think of it, pull boxes are being removed as well.

I Love FEATURE 00
Originally Posted by Arthur P. Bloom
Be careful when working around or testing an RJ31X provided / installed by ADT. They have such a big customer base that it allows them to purchase hundreds of thousands of RJ31X jacks. They have convinced their supplier, because of the huge numbers that they buy, to create jacks with a different (opposite) color code from the "official" ones.

Instead of the dial tone coming in on the red/green pair, it goes OUT on the red/green. This can cause much confusion if you are not aware of it. They do it for no other reason than to mess with the competition.

I had exactly that problem on a site about a year ago. Extremely frustrating until we figured it out!!

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,856
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,663 Shoretel
189,576 CTX100 install
187,847 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (newtecky), 137 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024