Story here .

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Although in the future there is no doubt that it will become a problem, I suspect that things are going to slow down for the next 10 years to the extent that decisions regarding internet "space" are mute. frown John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
There has been talk about running out of IP addresses for quite a while and, as the article said IPV6 should handle this for the foreseeable future. Certainly for our lifetimes.

During the dot-com boom there was a lot of talk about "smart" appliances. Your refrigerator would "see" that you were running out of milk and reorder it online from your grocery etc.

Well if you start handing out IP addresses to toasters and blenders and sexual aides AND if everyone in the civilized world started doing this AND unless you're assigning them private addresses (in the 192.168. etc range) then we would quickly run out of IPV4 addresses.

But with the rise of private networks with only a few Public IP addresses we should be OK for the next few years. If we do start to run out then IPV6 is developed and available for implementation.

My $.02

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
This issue keeps coming up in the media every few months. My opinion is that with careful assignment and usage of existing IP assignments, that there is additional life left in IPv4. Granted, I am not bashing IPv6, I think it is wonderful on paper but a lot of gear (think consumer routers and other networking gear) isn't IPv6 capable from what I can tell.

There's also still quite a bit of unallocated space or space reserved for whatever purpose.

Not being up to speed on these new-fangled typewriters, how hard will it be to transition from v4 to v6? Is it a 'has to all happen at the same time', or can it 'upgrade as equipment fails' with a future deadline? Somewhat like HDTV, only with a FIRM ( smile ) deadline. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Well Windows XP (SP2 I believe) added IPv6 support. SP3 I believe it is turned on by default. Vista has it on by default. Windows 7 I assume as well. OSX, I am not sure but WP says yes. Most linux variants have IPv6 support as well.

It is supposed to work side-by-side until IPv6 gets rolling enough that IPv4 gets cut loose. Great part about IPv6 is no more NAT.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

Just out of curiosity, why can't something be designed to use MAC (Physical) addresses? It appears to me as though there are enough of them that allows precise determination of a particular device on the net.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
IPv6 is coming...it is just a matter of time. In addition to the massive increase in IP addresses it also has an expanded header that will tag the packet as being voice, video or data which will allow for prioritization of the packet...which will lead to voice and video over IP that should work well.

Having said that before it can happen every router will need to be IPv6 compatible......so it will be a while but the applications are driving the change and it will happen.

What happened to IPv5?

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,867
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,681 Shoretel
189,687 CTX100 install
187,878 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 93 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024