web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Same here...if I am on the job when the alarm guy is there, I will run the wire and connect the RJ31X. At least they won't use 22 gauge stranded wire smile

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Don't know if they are still available, but, there used to be a T-adapter that had an RJ-31X and an RJ-11 side-by-side, and of course the male plug. They used to be used for "series dialers". Your installer could terminate the line on a jack, plug in the adapter, plug in the alarm and a line cord to the phone system.

I wouldn't want MY alarm connected that wy, though....

DT98 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a couple of the T-adapters just like you describe Tommy and it would work but it's a fragile setup and I did not want to even attempt it.

Hal, after working with a national retailer for the past ten years and their national alarm provider of choice, I'm still looking for a national alarm company worth their salt...no offence intended to the many independant alarm companies and providers. You would not believe the messes I have to contend with and help correct. And this company refuses to use anything but a national alarm company anymore...grrr...

Since the nat alarm company don't want to install the RJ31X jacks I think I'll offer them this solution.

I remember being at one new location on a vendor meet. The LEC was there, the alarm company was there and the phone/data installers were there. It was funny to watch them standing in a circle pointing to the next person. And no one corrected the problem. I got my tools and did it myself and they all left.

I'm going to have this jack labeled in detail and the only way anyone can mess it up is if they can't read...

Here's a story...got it about a month ago...a large national LEC installed POTS service for me, 3 lines in hunt, 1 stand alone line. The lines were crossed, etc...and it took about four reports to get it corrected. I told the last LEC tech working on it that I was former LEC and what in the world was the problem...I was going to call the PUC on the next problem. He told me that one of their techs just retired after 30 years service and about two months before he retired, they found out he was color blind...they found a section of a 600 pair cable splice that was incorrect and figured out this fellow worked on that section. They were very unhappy cause they had to dig up the splice, open the case and repair again.

A color blind LEC tech w/30 years service...I might still have a chance...

:-D

Since the nat alarm company don't want to install the RJ31X jacks I think I'll offer them this solution.

I still don't get it. They won't install it, you are the telecom guy, why don't YOU install it? That's what I do...

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
DT98, am I correct in figuring out that you only go out of the office when no one else can fix the problem. And you are trying to make the RJ31X installation 'stupid proof'? Guaranteed, you will not succeed. If the installer needs that much help, he'll break the assembly getting it mounted! frown John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
With LIGNTNINGHORSE there is absolutly nothing that can be made" sailor proof, kid proof, or stupid proof".

Originally posted by DT98:

Here's a story...got it about a month ago...a large national LEC installed POTS service for me, 3 lines in hunt, 1 stand alone line. The lines were crossed, etc...and it took about four reports to get it corrected. I told the last LEC tech working on it that I was former LEC and what in the world was the problem...I was going to call the PUC on the next problem. He told me that one of their techs just retired after 30 years service and about two months before he retired, they found out he was color blind...they found a section of a 600 pair cable splice that was incorrect and figured out this fellow worked on that section. They were very unhappy cause they had to dig up the splice, open the case and repair again.

A color blind LEC tech w/30 years service...I might still have a chance...
Even though we are getting a bit off topic I must inject a little tidbit of information into the mix here.
From first hand experience after working with a guy that was " color blind", Many people that are classified as being "Color blind" are fully capable of not only recognizing the different colors that most of us see, they see the same colors that we do most of the time. Apparently, this guy could see the same colors as most people with the exception red and brown. The way he described it to me was that he knew what brown was to him and most people, but red was also brown to him.

But he could recognize the difference well enough to pass a color test.

Phone Line IN [6p4c]
Phone Line OUT [rj31x]
ALARM System [8p8c]

1) Mark everything with a fat RED permanent marker.
2) Mount all three individual surface boxes to one small piece of plywood/backboard and wire them correctly.
3) Include "rj31x-for-dummies" instructions
4) Mail to install site

Shawn
Absolute Communications, Inc.
Phone Line IN [6p4c]
Phone Line OUT [6p4c]
ALARM System [rj31x]

Why would you do it your way?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Hal has a very valid point! Wired correctly, the line 'comes back' from the ancillary device, (An alarm in this case?) on pins 4 and 8. A 6P4C won't pick pick up the line! Using a 8P8C plug will TOTALLY confuse the installer, even if he does wire into the jack correctly. (And that's doubtful,at best!) And mark the jacks 'dial tone from telco' and 'dial tone to phone system' on the appropriate jacks. Remember, you are TRYING to make this 'stupid proof'. And good luck on that goal! smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,430 Shoretel
189,201 CTX100 install
187,442 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024