web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Just curious how everyone feels about wireless security. I personally do not have much experience with it. I recently added an ademco wireless receiver to my home panel and picked up a set of their key fobs, they seem to work well. I Was wondering if you guys use wireless or still prefer to stick with the hardwired systems.

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

We always try to use wired equipment when possible, but I really don't have any reservations using the admeco wireless in a residential setting. I was leery at first because the first wireless I was exposed to was when Radionics started with wireless points for their 7112. They were very expensive and saying they were not very reliable is being generous. I have been away from Radionics for several years but I understand their new stuff is much better.

I have a real good comfort level with the Ademco wireless, if a transmitter does not check in or has a low battery it will let you know. I have never had a problem with the wireless smokes but I tend to stay away from them. Not because of any bad experiences, I just have hard time getting that comfortable feeling with the wireless smokes. The cost of the wireless equipment is more but you make that up in saved labor so it's pretty much a wash on job pricing. To sum it up, we wire where it is physically and cosmetically possible, but have no reservations using the wireless when appropriate.

OP Offline
That is kind of the feeling I have been getting from people I have talked to. I see your point with the wireless smokes. Personally I like to hardwire whenever I can but wireless is just real convinent. I live in an old brick house with plaster lath walls covered by 1/2 sheetrock, so fishing wires is less then fun to say the least. I am thinking of adding some detectors to the top floor. I think I am going to go wireless and see how it works out. What is the general range for devices and the keyfobs. I think ademco says 200' but I could be wrong on that.

Documentation says 200' but in reality I think it is much better. I've never had problems with range at all. Program a Panic key on your keyfob and see how far you can get down your driveway/road. I think you will be impressed with the range. Within the residence I doubt you will have any problems at all. Of course depending on the rf environment around a particualr location, it will vary, but I have never had a problem. We've used them to protect outbuildings and boats at the end of peirs and have never had a problem.

OP Offline
really...that is good to know, I have a panic programmed I will try that tonight. Thanks for the advice you just saved me a lot of drilling and snaking and general headachs.

Hardwired is the way to go. The only wireless that I will sell is keyfobs. I don't like relying on wireless for contacts, motions, or smokes. The problem is for the average customer that is not on a maintenance contract, they don't replace batteries. There are systems out there that can give you a full 30 day low battery trouble signal on the keypad and still work. The customer will still procrastinate and end up with a false alarm eventually. Or they call you when you are busy and expect a service call today even though the system will run for awhile without trouble.

If I had to use wireless devices, it would be the Ademco or Inovonics. I have in the past used wireless to protect a contractor service van in the driveway, or a garden shed in the backyard (I still would prefer to slit the ground and run a line out there).

Originally posted by anthonyh:
I live in an old brick house with plaster lath walls covered by 1/2 sheetrock, so fishing wires is less then fun to say the least. I am thinking of adding some detectors to the top floor.
You have the idea situation. It's probably a "stick framed" house (no top or bottom plates). Stick a glow rod or fish tape in the wall and it should ride up straight into the attic and poke out of the insulation. I then use a telescopic "grab it" pole to hook the tape and pull it back to me standing on a ladder in the attic hole (I very rarely have to actually enter the attic).

I would mount a zone expander right there next to the access hole or at least a junction point. Most alarms use a common ground return path, so if you pull one quad wire, you can get 3 contacts to run off it or 2 motions with power. I normally pull a 12 conductor wire there. Double up on the power, that leaves 8 wires left for 8 zones using the (-) line as the return common.

OP Offline
The trouble is the walls are real tight...about a 1/4" from brick to lath, some walls it is almost on the brick. The interior walls are a bit better but I still need to drill up from the basement, past the first floor threw the second floor then into the attic which is lined with plywood. I do agree that a zone expender or a muti conductor cable is a great idea.

Thanks for Tips

The trouble is the walls are real tight...about a 1/4" from brick to lath, some walls it is almost on the brick.
Wow, no insulation? Or double or triple thick bricks for insulation?

The interior walls are a bit better but I still need to drill up from the basement, past the first floor threw the second floor then into the attic which is lined with plywood.
Most of the older homes had stick framing, if you drill up through the floor boards from the basement into a load bearing interior wall and push a fish tape up, there wasn't any plates separating first and second floors.

OP Offline
nope no insulation, just a double layer of brick. I have been considering remodeling a bedroom, gutting the walls, framing it out, and hanging sheet rock. If I do it I may just add a conduit from the basement to the attic. since where it will come out is right around where i have attic access. It will make life eaiser in the future.

Twisted Pair,
Curious why you do not like the wireless? the batteries mostly?
I have not been in the business too long so I do not have a time tested opinion but since I started i have installed quite a few DSC wireless systems and not knowing any better I always thought they were the cats meow. I have only been to one service call where the customer was confused about low batteries and It was because he replaced the battery and the trouble was still there - turns out he had another go low at the same time.
I install in big log homes and it is usually the only option but for finished homes we sell quite a few also. I personally am going to get a 864 panel with a wireless keypad for my house. A couple of keyfobs for my wife and daughter. My real security system is a 100lb hound mix that can smell a bobcat fart two miles away. :thumb:
Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,639 Shoretel
189,523 CTX100 install
187,781 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 173 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024