web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
IMHO unless he's right on top the CO or feed by carrier that's misaligned levels are not going to be an issue. I'd bet loop current isn't the issue either. I'm sticking with the problem lies with-in the IP system. Of course we won't know any of this for sure until we see the test results.

How can these IP developed systems all at once say the established requirements don't apply to us? At least that's the way I'm reading what mgere is telling us that he's being told by the IP systems tech support.

Retired phone dude
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally posted by justbill:
IMHO unless he's right on top the CO or feed by carrier that's misaligned levels are not going to be an issue. I'd bet loop current isn't the issue either. I'm sticking with the problem lies with-in the IP system. Of course we won't know any of this for sure until we see the test results.

How can these IP developed systems all at once say the established requirements don't apply to us? At least that's the way I'm reading what mgere is telling us that he's being told by the IP systems tech support.
I’m still thinking you IMHO is correct, sir.

Disregarding long standing requirements and standards for equipment is happening on this side of the demarc too I’m afraid. It seems to be the way of the world when the CG’s and marketing people are driving the proverbial bus. mad

I don’t know that this will specifically help the OP but typed this out for anyone else that happens to look here due to having similar issues and would like a little deeper discussion.

The DC component (loop current) found on telephone lines and the AC signal (voice) when present, is superimposed but the two elements are wholly separate. If you don’t believe me? … Place a call... Mute both ends so neither are transmitting or receiving any signal. Is the DC still flowing? Yup, sure enough is, the talk battery is still there.

On a POTS line, since the DC component is required to there to keep the line open at the switch, as well as power the transmitter and receiver of a telset, you can’t really “prove” that AC signals can exist without the DC on a regular POTS line… But there are a few examples of “special service circuits,” provided by telcos, that have no DC component but pass only AC signal over copper wires. Pretty much a thing of the past, but once upon a time it was done (i.e. old school analog data, hoot-n-hollar/junkyard lines, etc.) … And, I’ll leave the inherent corrosion issues on splice and sealing-current open to discuss for a different time, since this is already getting off track.

So, why is there even a conversation here (and in other posts) that seeming mixing and matching concerns with “loop current” and “signal?” ... It’s the nature of how the telco plant is constructed. The DC current reading can be VERY telling since a voice line is an “electrical circuit” wherein the conductors make a majority of the load and the battery is a fixed value…. That Ohm was a smart feller, right.

When questions of “too hot of a signal” come up, the follow-up question is often what’s the “loop current” at the demarc.... Why if they are separate things? A person can make some very accurate assumptions about “the loop” the particular voice service is being delivered on... Or how “the loop” was conditioned for service delivery.

If the signal is “too hot” and the DC current is high, one of two likely conditions is present… And both are telco issues. 1) The loop is very short and the equipment on the other end was installed at default settings that are designed for more average (longer) loops and needs to be padded down. 2) The loops is very long and the telco over compensated when conditioning for the higher resistance and “loop loss” of the extra cable.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
mgere Offline OP
OP Offline
I did test the loop current and found it to be 49ma and 45ma on the two analog trunks. I put the attenuation tester in line and dropped the loopcurrent by 4ma and the db by 4, but it didn't help. I also, just for shits and giggles, put a impedance matcher in line and that did nothing. The CO is probably 350 feet (crow flys) from the demarc of the place of buisness. I will call Verizon and see if they can get the loop current down on those lines. Im totally at a lose with this one.

You could look on sandman.com. He has several devices that can be installed in line to reduce the loop current. I believe there is also a diagram to build a resister and capacitor circuit to reduce it.

While that loop current is on the high side it still isn't going to cause the problems you describe. Loop current around this area is constantly in the 50-60ma range. It does affect something's you just have to learn what. Actually those who manufacture the products should allow for this as the loop current does have a low requirement, but the high is to anyones interpretation. I found this out after fighting with Qwest for sometime. Read Sandman's article about loop current.

Retired phone dude
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
That's enough to burn out some trunk cards! Been there! frown

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
I have to disagree, justbill, I have had the same type of issue with loop current in the 40 to 45 milliamp range. I built a capacitor-resistor circuit, used it like a bridge clip between the CO and the switch. This dropped the current to just under 30 milliamps and the problem cleared.

oldfashioned,

Why the capacitors? I have seen this done with just straight resistors in series with the line, but I have never seen the circuit you describe. Can you describe it and/or post a schematic?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

The capacitors would bypass the audio around the resistive attenuator pad so that the audio wouldn't be attenuated, only the DC voltage. I don't know if that's an advantage or not.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally posted by oldfashioned:
I have to disagree, justbill, I have had the same type of issue with loop current in the 40 to 45 milliamp range. I built a capacitor-resistor circuit, used it like a bridge clip between the CO and the switch. This dropped the current to just under 30 milliamps and the problem cleared.
You had a problem with voice clipping and it was cause by high loop current? That's a new one on me.

Retired phone dude
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,723 Shoretel
189,765 CTX100 install
187,923 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024