Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Originally posted by The Grim Reaper:
I like the idea of calling the number and looking for the ring voltage.

Please explain a little more how to use ANI numbers in speed dial.
a couple of ways to do it depending on your buttset

you can dial the number once then on to the next hit speaker and redial and so on

I currently use a TS25D and I have several ANI numbers in speed dial so I go off hook hit speaker then choose the ani number

like I said just a couple of digits will get you close

I agree it should be the telcos job , but when the customer is trying to get going and as long as they are willing to pay I'll try to find the lines .

I explain it to them and give them the choice ,

keep in mind if your looking for ring voltage the voltage is off and on , (ring and silence )

I think its 2 seconds ring voltage and 4 seconds silence so running your fingers or any other device quickly down the block wont get it if you hit the pins during the silent period

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I've been known to run the block with a jumper tied to ground. Hey you don't label, I do what I have to. Where I am is small enough you only have to do that once, after that they label.

Retired phone dude
Any job we do for customer in last couple of yrs. the bp# is added along side of phone number in customer records. In larger jobs- ent. cable and bp.,house pr. This really helps for fast check of dial tone and if have constant problem on a certain line can reference bp# and ask for different pair.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
The problem with using a volt meter and looking for the ring voltage, is of course the ringing is not constant, but 2 seconds on and 4 seconds off. It takes forever to land on the pair while it is ringing.

Now if you use Bill's method, or call the number and then use a flat-blade screwdriver to shout the pins together, one pair at a time, it's pretty fast to find which one trips the ring!

I have always called Verizon back out to tag the lines, thereby making me have to go out a 2nd time. I do charge the enduser for both trips, not my fault, and I do need to be compensated for my time. Most customer's understand this and work with Verizon for a reduction on their installation bill with them.
Sometimes I will call a new number and short out all terminals until the ringing on my buttset clicks and the follow that pair back to the dmarc.

Tony the Phoneman
It is Verizons job to Tag the lines when they are installed. They should provide demarc location(RJ21X #3, positon 22 etc.) I would not go to the trouble of trying to locate the lines unless you had some way of putting up tone on them.

If is ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.
Try dialing 958 and see if that works.

Admin
Admin
In what universe is that :-)

A few days ago, I was running a service call at a business where AT&T,nee SBC, nee Ameritech,nee Ohio Bell was sent in at the same time. He proceded to dial an 800 number and an authcode to ID the lines. I asked if there was any chance I could get the number.

Never hurts to ask.

Alas, I didn't get it.

Admin
Admin
duplicate post monster strikes again

ANI is automatic number identification, a central-office term. The codes that are dialed to find a telephone number's identity are called ANA (automatic number announcement) codes.

There are several ANA codes available, depending upon your geographics and LEC. If the moderators feel it is appropriate to post them here, I will.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,867
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,678 Shoretel
189,681 CTX100 install
187,874 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Yoda, nortelvoip), 88 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024