Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#464163 03/26/08 02:24 AM
OP Offline
Hello - we're looking into installing an all-ip ESI 600 in a new building. Since we're doing everything from scratch we figured IP is the way to go. All the phones themselves will be on a completely seperate network from our typical data network, however there will be some interconnection for management, remote access, etc. Wiring will be cat-6.

Just curious to know if anyone's done an all-ip installation with over 85 phones? If so, was there any sound quality issues? What switches did you use?

Secondly, in regards to sip support (not overly important), have people had success using SIP adapters and/or softphones like Xten with ESI? How about Linksys routers that have the phone ports built in?

Just to clarify, I'm not the installer, but the customer. Our installer is a member of this board and has answered all my questions well, I'm just doing background research now and getting opinions ;-)

I'm a computer guy who's decently versed in VOIP and phone technologies, so feel free to speak geek.

Mitel 3300Mxe running MCD 4.0, 5340 Phones
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#464164 03/26/08 03:09 AM
our office system (we are an ESI dealer) is an ESI CS-600 with about 12 phones, all IP on a new and separate network from our data, so it sounds like our configuration is similar to yours. Obviously we don't have the # of phones that you are looking at, but with the networks being separate there is no real reason you would have any quality issues. We have never had a customer or other caller question the sound quality of any call.

We run Netgear switches, and all of the phones are POE.

We have not used the SIP adapters you mentioned or the Linksys routers.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
#464165 03/26/08 10:48 PM
Orion

Since your installer is a board member here it would be a benefit if he/she joined us in this thread.

It appears that you are putting the 600 in place at a new location and from your previous posts it also appears you are leaving a Comdial behind from the previous location. If this is correct when is the projected move in date of the new location?

#464166 03/26/08 11:39 PM
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Just out of curiosity...why are you looking to do all IP Phones?

#464167 03/27/08 06:30 AM
By separate network I hope you don't mean separate cable runs and switches. All ESI IP phones are VLAN compliant.

ESI's architecture also allows you to physically segment the phones in groups of 24 if desired for traffic management at the hardware layer (e.g one 24 port switch for each IP 24 station port card).

Brian Dunne
ETC Telecom
www.etctele.com
#464168 03/27/08 08:37 AM
OP Offline
Yes seperate network meaning seperate wiring and switches. Its all new so why not just do a few extra runs now to future proof the building. It eliminates a lot of administrative stuff when it comes to setting vlans on ports, etc.

Bdunne, thats a question I was waiting to get an answer on in regards to the 24 phone thing. I know each card does 24 phones so I asked if it had to be segmented, and if not, do we just connect one jack and the daisy chain/star the switches?

We're looking at all IP since we feel that'll provide the best migration path down the road if we ever upgrade controllers. It also simplifies the wiring end so we can use all cat-6 lines for everything. The vendor did suggest digital in-house but most other systems nowadays are all IP, so if the ESI is advertising it can be done equally as well as digital, why not? We asked for an all-ip proposal to have something to compare with the other vendors' proposals. Another reason is that we may add onto our new building a year after we move in, and if that happens, we'll prob have a second wiring cabinet in the addition. If so, we can just sling extra switching gear to expand rather than a second controller cabinet and/or phone runs back to the main room. (main room is going to be very small!)

To answer the other question, yes we're retiring our 15 yr old Comdial DXP with the move. The system has been great to us save for some bugs here and there but overall I've been pleased with it. To me its got a lot of modern options for as old as it is. If we go with the ESI system our vendor (who still does Comdial) has given us a trade-in value for it.

Jeff

#464169 03/27/08 09:37 AM
Thank You Jeff for returning to fill in a few blanks. I might suggest you consider the ESI-1000 instead of the ESI-600 since you mentioned the future additional construction. The price difference between the 2 units will be minimal especially when compared to the licensing cost associated with 85 IP phones compared to 85 Digital phones. I'm still a bit fuzzy on that reasoning but I'll chalk it up to your softphone desires.

Until you correct me on this I'm assuming you have done research and pleased with the ESI product and you plan to retain your previous Comdial vendor to handle the physical install. It also appears you have not selected an ESI dealer to purchase the needed equipment from.

I'm not implying that there is anything wrong with that, I am just trying to get the details in order.

#464170 03/28/08 08:29 AM
OP Offline
The Comdial vendor is also/now an ESI dealer so they would be providing the equipment as well as installing it. To clarify, this is not the only system I'm looking at, just one of them.

We are really not looking at too much more over 100 phones even with the expansion - the expanded building if we do build it could only house about 40 more people I believe, so I think the 600 is within our needs.

I'm noticing the lean towards digital despite being told that the 600 is an IP based and designed system? The way we're looking at it is that IP is the modern way to go, why spend close to six figures on a system thats not using the most modern technology? (Yes I know modern doesn't always mean better either. ;-))

One way I look at it is that with digital, we have to have a chassis to support all the digital cards, then amphenol trunks to patch panels, then patch cables to other patch panels, which connect to the runs. The runs have to be terminated with RJ-11 style connectors and patch panels otherwise we'd need custom phone cables. That means if down the road we want to switch to IP, all those jacks would have to be re-terminated with RJ-45.

If you're going to do all that, why not put the connection end on switches where if need be, especially in our expansion, the switches can be located in seperate places, possibly closer to the endpoints?

If there's good reason to go digital instead of IP (other than price), please let me know, maybe I'm missing something? I'd love for someone to counter what I put here. Again this is a seperate voip network, so no vlaning, daisy-chaining comps to phones, etc.

#464171 03/28/08 12:00 PM
If you are going to only have ~100 extensions max even after the upgrade why not look at the CS-200 it supports 192 extensions.
As far as the cabling it could be terminated onto Cat 6 jacks with no problems with standard line cords at the jack & patch cords at the patch panel, so the cabling would not be an issue down the road.
Also I just cannot think of a good reason to go IP locally to be honest.

#464172 03/29/08 02:29 AM
Justin M is correct. RJ11 ends will work in RJ 45 inputs. Cabling is not an issue. Ip phones are easier to move if needed, but a patch panel solution for digital is just as easy. If you are set on IP then we have done fairly big installs with ESI phones and there is no big difference in the functionality of the phones. As far as seperate networks, I do not no if this is possible if you will be using VIP. If so then the local computer has to be able to contanct the ESI server.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,846
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,654 Shoretel
189,545 CTX100 install
187,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 137 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024