web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I have and older IVX and am attempting to activate the analog ports (I have attempted this in the past without success). The two ports (191 and 192) are set as FAX and EXT types respectively. Everything works ok, but FAX connected to 191 and the phone set connected to 192 do not ring. When I monitor the ports on the 66 block with my butt set, I "hear" the ringing. The Auto Attendant is forwarding inbound fax calls to 191, but the fax machine is not answering. I suspect low/no ringing voltage on the ports. ESI will not talk directly to me and the vendors I have contacted want me the send my main board in for testing. I can't do that obviously.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong or how I can troubleshoot this problem.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Unplug the fax and plug you butt set into the fax jack and see if it rings, or wire a CO straight to the fax machine to see if the problem is the machine or the system

OP Offline
I already did this. The fax machine works fine with a C.O. line connected directly. When I plug the butt set directly into the fax jack, I "hear" the ring in. When I plug an analog phone set into the jack (or into the analog port I have defined as and extension), it does not ring, but I can pick it up and answer. I also, get a dial tone when I go off hook.

You may "hear" the ring with your butt-in set, but is it 90 volts ac or thereabouts? You should test it with a voltmeter both with and without the fax/phone plugged in, If there's not sufficient ringing voltage and/or current you may will need either a port card or mainboard repair. ESI will do this for older models, but your dealer needs spare parts so you can function in the meantime.

If it's an older IVX, and your dealer doesn't have the spare parts to troubleshoot it properly, have them contact someone on the board here. I'm sure many of us would be willing to help.

Brian Dunne
ETC Telecom
www.etctele.com
OP Offline
Does the ring voltage come from the main board or port card? I have two port cards and I frogged them with the same result. I assume that since the analog ports are on the main board, the ring current would come from there. Also, I guess the ringing on the digital sets is not controlled by the 90 volt ring current or they would not be ringing as well.
Replies from any dealer who would do a board swap with me so I would not be down would be acceptable as ESI will not do this directly (I would have to go through a dealer and the company I purchased this from is no longer in business).

You said you have 2 prot cards , does the second port card have analog ports on it?

OP Offline
It appears (visually and from the Installation manual, that the analog ports are not on the port cards, but on the main system board. I know the ports are accessed on the punchdown from the first port card (layout of the first port card in the install manual), but I suspect that the analog ports are just wired through the flat cable from the main board to the port card (I don't know for sure). Anyway, the two port cards are identical and there is only one type of port card available for the system. The dealer contact I have made indicated that I would have to send them my main board (which in turn they would send to ESI for testing and repair - if that is the problem). They would not give me any other option except buying a new main board with no guarantee of being able to return it if this did not fix the problem. I'm not ready to try that. I suspect that not too many people use the analog ports since the information I find on them is sketchy.

If the port cards are the same there should be analog ports on both cards.

OP Offline
If that is so, then both port cards have the same problem because I frogged them with the same result. I really have not found out for sure where the two analog ports are physically. I can identify pattern of circuity on the port cards for two sets of four circuits and I assume those to be the 4 digital station ports and the four C.O. Line ports. I do not see any patterns of circuitry for any two like circuits. The dealer I spoke with did not know for sure where the two analog station ports are located which did not give me confidence in sending anything in for repair.

If I could get my hands on a used main board at a reasonable price, I would probably try that approach.

X-191 is on the Yellow/Orange - Orange/Yellow
x-192 is on the Yellow/Green - Green/Yellow

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,308
Posts638,901
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,026 Shoretel
190,210 CTX100 install
188,384 1a2 system
Newest Members
dcl, Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks
49,771 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 19
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (www.telcom1.net, Toner, jc2it, justbill), 116 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024