web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#463103 07/19/07 04:21 AM
can tech support not tell you what prompt it is??

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#463104 07/19/07 05:42 AM
John,
My remarks are based on my knowledge of unix based systems. I'm not sure if your system is unix based, but hopefully this can offer some further insight with your situation:

Regarding the system that is losing the prompts, the prompts may indeed still exist within the system, but:
1. These prompt files may somehow have been accidentally stored within a wrong directory
2. The system may be experiencing a corrupted .exe file, that may also be causing the prompts to become accidentally deleted from the system.
3. A problem with the system pathway for providing the prompt to the user.

As far as identifying all the necessary prompts, one option to consider is to create a personal database identifying all prompts 'by filename' for each software version. If an optimal system with no prompt issues is UNIX based, all the prompt files are probably hiding within a "prompt directory" somewhere within the unix craft shell. As far as retrieving this data from each version/system for being saved in the personal database, as well for comparing the existing prompts versus the required prompts; the steps for doing this are probably similar regardless of software version. I'm sure that the unix gurus here maybe able to also assist you further in retrieving all required prompt filenames from the unix shell, but are probably best not disclosed here in a public forum. Unix craft shell commands are extremely unforgiving and can cause great damage if accidentally entered incorrectly.

#463105 07/19/07 09:07 AM
Moderator-ESI - Executone
I don't think ESI systems use Unix....They have their own stuff.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel..

Retirement 2019 ( It has happened )
#463106 07/21/07 11:19 AM
grider Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Steve Mull:
can tech support not tell you what prompt it is??
Yes, they can. They have in the past. Currently I am awaiting the info requested. Most of the time ESI tech support is top notch, but they sometimes get the too good to solve issues on a low life S-Class attitude. When I sent an email to TS a few days ago I immediately received a response telling me I would have an answer within 24 hours. 25 hours later I replied to that email with "times up, what you got?" I then received an email telling me that there had been a service number assigned to this matter and JOE PROMPT would be answering my question. I have yet to hear from JOE PROMPT.

Let me explain my position. I have a whole bunch of ESI systems out there that I am responsible for. Most are 56s and a few E-Class and C-Class. This is not the first time a prompt has turned up missing. I know most of the younger generation feels like 95% of all problems can be solved with an 800 number and a cell phone. I'm darn near 50 with grey hair. If I keep having the same problem over and over I go back to my younger days of Boy Scouting and plan to "BE PREPAIRED".

My relationship with ESI is on pretty solid ground. I both promote and sell their products. I don't call tech support constantly begging and whining to get them to do my job for me. In fact 5 minutes of conversation between my rep and myself equals 2 grand plus. In other words if I'm callin, I'm buyin. What more could a manufacturer ask for?

The reason I state these things here in the open is we all know ESI monitors this site and especially this forum. They have seen me make their name look darn good in the public on numerous occasions. When they read this perhaps instead of creating a trouble ticket number for me they will actually send me a solution.

#463107 07/23/07 11:12 PM
grider Offline OP
OP Offline
As of Tue 7/24 no information from Tech Support. On Fri 20th at approximately noon an incident # was created and handed off to A.B. of ESI Tech Support.

It appears that all of ESI Tech Support is busy working the bugs out of 600's from sea to shining sea.

I want this: :shrug:

I have had enough of this: :bang:

#463108 07/25/07 03:05 AM
grider Offline OP
OP Offline
This project is almost complete. It took some effort on my part to patiently get past the Tech Support mindset of the customer doesn't know what he is talking about. In this case I being the customer!

A fine gentleman named Art with ESI TS connected up a 42s and found out that using his system he was missing a prompt in location PRGM-3. He then had to go to an older version of software to press PRGM-3 and actually hear what was supposed to play. Once he heard what he was supposed to hear then he had to set up debug to visually see a prompt reference number that played at the PRGM-3 location where it was determined that the missing prompt from the upgraded software version (2.6.1) is prompt #1510. I can now go into installer programming and 9XXX then 1510 and then 1 to record the prompt in my voice.

As we speak there is a search going on in the Plano offices for this prompt and it will be emailed to me as an attachment. I assume they will add the prompt to the upgrade package also.

:toast:

#463109 07/25/07 03:57 AM
Good job John

#463110 07/25/07 01:44 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, I was wondering about the fix for this as well.

I thought that on the ESI systems, IF you Record any prompt with a custom recording, You could always ' go back ' to the default prompt by pressing the ' delete(hold key) and then the prompt would be back?

Now that you found out the prompt number, could you possibly try and see if that would work?

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel..

Retirement 2019 ( It has happened )
#463111 07/30/07 01:02 PM
grider Offline OP
OP Offline
Now that you found out the prompt number, could you possibly try and see if that would work?

I could test this on another prompt but not with this one. There is no default prompt in place, just my personal recording. I like the idea though, perhaps I'll try it on the one that says "Please enter your password". Gotta figure out what that prompt number is first. And the cycle goes on!

#463112 07/30/07 03:31 PM
I remember I had a an IVX128 system early on that lost the "zero" prompt (twice). I had to re-record it in my own voice until ESI could upload a replacement each time. Until then any caller who selected a guest mailbox owner from the dial-by-name directory would hear "You are now being transferred to mailbox 4 - (Tina's voice) -zero (my voice) -one (Tina's voice)". It was quite comical, but fortunately it wasn't the type of business that got upset about that sort of thing.

Tina was actually her name, If I remember correctly.

Brian Dunne
ETC Telecom
www.etctele.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,306
Posts638,894
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,905 Shoretel
190,000 CTX100 install
188,225 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 6
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 33 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024