web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Well at least with wireless the worst damage a too-tall truck can do it cut off their calls/internet. I don't think I'd ever be willing to do aerial over a busy street.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I always make sure to have the wire run up above the CATV around here. I figure they'll snag a few of those lines before they get to mine. smile

You will need to learn this system and dial down the output power.
At that distance it should have no problem going through a wall, as in in the ceiling.
Had a school across street, 8 voip lines, computers for6 classrooms, had Alvarion for years. About 10K for hardware. Lightning hit and we replaced with a D Link bundle from internet $900.00. New one works better and never goes down.
If the antennas will separate from the radio, only the antenna needs to outside, if needed.

OP Offline
Brokeda, I believe you are correct about powering it down a notch or two since the thing specs distances up to 3 miles and we are going about 250'. :rolleyes:

Installing in the ceiling and pointing out through a wall isn't an option. Old buildings with oddball drop ceilings with only about 8-10" space.

If I had a choice between overkill and something weaker, I'll take overkill.

We found one unit from Trendnet that would be good for a short-distance, no interference app. Dirt cheap. Just won't have the power we need for this install from what I've read.

Anyone looking to go just to a short straight line with no obstructions might want to check out the TEW-455APBO. Looks so simple. You can use one unit as an outdoor AP. Two are used for a building to building link w/ optional directional high gain antennas.

We've used Proxim for several sites with your scenario. Work like a charm! Only ever had 1 go bad out of a 10 or so that we have out there.

I'd start out with a site survey, spectrum analysis to see what's out there on the desired frequencies. I picked up a 2.4ghz usb spectrum analyzer for my laptop awhile ago, with an external connector. Gives a rough estimate as to what's floating around on the 2.4ghz range. It's no Anritsu spectrum analyzer but it does a pretty decent job, especially given the price.

www.metageek.net

Metageek also sells a 5ghz and 900mhz spectrum analyzer if you were thinking of those frequencies. Of course there's the licensed band or much higher unlicensed frequencies if you need serious bandwidth (1Gbit full duplex).

I used to work for a WISP years ago. That YDI Wireless stuff is pretty rugged. I think we had a 15mi link with one of their products. I know we setup for 10Mbit full duplex Trango link. Man that was awesome. 18mi full duplex 10Mbit (this was 2004 mind you). A lot of bandwidth for the time, especially given broadband penetration in this state was minimal.

OP Offline
Hawk - these CX-24 dishes run at 24ghz not 2.4 ghz (up to 45mbs full duplex to 90mbs - a lot better than a PTP wired telco T-1 at 1.5mbs). I will try to run them at the lowest possible power setting since we are inside 300'.

We don't have any wireless testing equipment to know what is going on at 24 ghz. The manual says to connect a balun to the CX24 out to a multimeter, but not much more info.

Fortunately, it looks like the CX-24s have a 'tuner' of sorts on the web server onboard - for dummies. Plus 8 leds that tell you what is going on with the sync and power.

We've done a lot with satellite dishes (as hobbies) - aiming them, etc - so we can figure that part out.

The units came with very long 48v power cords and ethernet lines that have weatherproof ends. We'll fire them up this weekend behind our building and make sure they talk by pinging back and forth, etc.

Unlike the Trendnet units these CX-24s are tanks - circa 2004. They weigh about 18 lbs each.

https://www.dragonwaveinc.com/products-licensed-unlicensed.asp

Looks like you should be in the clear then using the 24ghz band. As a side note, Dragonwave makes nice equipment as well.

Make sure you get some lightning protection on the ethernet and power lines too.

OP Offline
We set up the dishes for a test and except for a bad Ethernet cord, everything worked flawlessly. 1ms ping times, solid. My friend is a cancer survivor and I keep pointing one of the dishes at him. Is that wrong?

Anything we run into that is line of sight in the future we'll go with units like these. Much faster and nicer than PTP wired T-1 when you can use them.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,613 Shoretel
189,503 CTX100 install
187,758 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 172 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024