web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#453365 11/29/09 06:24 AM
but unless it is CM or better it is a violation of 800.154(C)(3). In this application, CMX will not cut it in lengths >10'.

That doesn't apply to wiring that is not premises wiring within or attached to the structure. This would actually be considered a patch cord. SO cord is not riser rated.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#453366 11/30/09 10:26 AM
Hal,
Can you cite the NFPA 70 section that gives the OK to installing any type of communications cable in a commercial building if it's not rated at least CMX? The only case I can think of is when an OSP cable enters a building and then is subject to the "50-foot rule". As far as I know, SO cord isn't generally considered to be a communications cable, so I don't see the correlation.

#453367 11/30/09 11:33 AM
Can you cite the NFPA 70 section that gives the OK to installing any type of communications cable in a commercial building if it's not rated at least CMX?

No, and you won't find too many places where the NEC says anything is OK. If something is not prohibited then it must be OK. That's the way the book is written and should be interpreted.

A patch cable that extends from a wall jack to a PC is not considered premises wiring and does not have to be listed as anything. NFPA 70 only covers LV wiring installed within the building structure- IE- floors, walls and ceilings. With few exceptions, wiring what is run outside of the building both aerially or buried or wiring used to connect equipment to a jack (as long as it is not fastened in place) is not covered.

With the exception of some parts of Article 725, the only main concern the NEC has with LV and communications wiring (Art 800 on) is the spread of fire and generation of toxic gasses and smoke caused by the material it's constructed with. This is unlike Chapter 3 wiring methods where current handling capacity, temperature, insulation resistance, installation etc are all factors. That's because Chapter 3 wiring handles voltage and current that has the potential to cause serious injury, property damage or death. Communications wiring handles little if any voltage and current.

My point about SO cord is that Chapter 3 wiring methods are inherently suitable for where it is installed. Type MC or NM (Romex) cables for instance have no riser or plenum versions. All can be run vertically but you can't use romex in a plenum space. Type SO, like all flexible cordage cannot be used for building wiring- within walls, floors ceilings. One of the reasons for that prohibition is that it does not meet smoke emission standards and pass the vertical flame test. Yet there is no prohibition against using it dropped vertically from a ceiling receptacle like our patch cord.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,723 Shoretel
189,766 CTX100 install
187,923 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Carl Navarro, Mansour), 96 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024