Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#453355 11/28/09 10:42 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Suppose you dropped a piece of (kellum grip) supported SJ cord from the ceiling and then fastened your Cat 6 cable to it with velcro? As long as the SJ cord had a nice "L" for the first velcro strap(s) to grip you should be OK. Especially of you wrapped the Cat 6 around the SJ on the way down.

The "look" would fit in with the Techno design and still be supported safely.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#453356 11/28/09 10:58 AM
I've wired up areas like this. What we did was to use some Panduit plastic gang boxes which we ran our cable to and terminated with jacks and faceplates. We affixed the boxes to the ceiling tile with long machine screws, oversized washers and wing nuts. Prior to mounting we simply drilled two 1/2 inch holes side by side on one long side leaving a quarter inch gap between them. Then we took the patch cables, looped then, zip tied the loop to the makeshift fastening point and then made a J out of the connector end length and plugged it in. It formed an instant drip loop too. Very neat configuration and easy to add or move boxes. Just leave plenty in the ceiling if you expect to relocate them.

#453357 11/28/09 11:20 AM
How about a consolidation point with armored cable running from the consolidation point down to a jack at the equipment? More materials, higher cost, but much higher reliability. If you aren't dealing with enough drops for a full on consolidation point, you could use a multi-port surface jack and just patch between the runs that go to the TR and the runs that drop down to the equipment.

With the armored cable you can pretty well do anything you like to fasten it without deforming the cable, and it certainly would look industrial.

https://www.superioressex.com/communicationscable.aspx?id=8706&ekmensel=c580fa7b_10_66_4244_1

https://www.panduit.com/Support/Sea...;Text=consolidation+point&Filter=All

#453358 11/28/09 03:34 PM
How about something like either Carlon line-voltage flexible conduit (the grey stuff) or low-voltage "Resi-Gard" tubing (the orange stuff)?

Or pass the Cat5 cable down inside a section of Greenfield, with a single-gang utility box, equipped with a Decora faceplate & jack/insert at the bottom?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#453359 11/28/09 04:57 PM
I'm going to throw this out and see what everyone thinks.
If cat5e is adequate, they make an outdoor aerial version (air core so no messy gel to deal with) with a steel messenger cable. You could terminate a piece of this with jacks at either end and form a loop in the messenger for hanging from a hook. Use a 1' patch cord to connect to the jack on the ceiling and whatever length patch cord that is required on the other end. Run the lower end into an 1110 type box and anchor the messenger to the ground screw. A receptacle style jack mounting frame and flush metal cover will finish it off cleanly.

Someone might have to advise on the use of outdoor cable indoors since it will not be riser rated cable. I think a case could be made that it would be acceptable as long as it wasn't permanently attached to structure or passing through walls.

#453360 11/28/09 05:51 PM
I don't think the aerial cable would be a problem here. It's not being run in any pathways. What you've described is exactly what I was getting at with the armored cable, but the aerial cable would probably be easier to source locally.

#453361 11/29/09 03:11 AM
7echo Offline OP
OP Offline
Charles, or anyone else, can you give me a brand of aerial, or maybe a link? I would like to check it out.

Thanks!

#453362 11/29/09 03:36 AM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Google is your friend aerial Cat5e cable

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
#453363 11/29/09 04:18 AM
Hmmm, messengered cable would work. REMOVE the messenger for all but like 24" at the top. Separate the messenger from the cable for like a foot from the top end BUT DON'T CUT IT OFF. That foot of unmessengered cable is your loop that you put a plug on and plug into your ceiling mounted jack. Now, take that foot of separated messenger and loop it around a hook attached to the ceiling next to the jack. For the remaining messenger which is on the hanging cable, separate enough at the bottom to wrap it back around the cable and itself all the way up to where it separates from the cable at the top. This will keep it from separating on it's own.

This is really the same as what you would do when installing an aerial span to attach the cable to the supports. You would remove the messenger from the cable where it goes down the side of the building.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#453364 11/29/09 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Charles U Sparkie:
I'm going to throw this out and see what everyone thinks.
If cat5e is adequate, they make an outdoor aerial version (air core so no messy gel to deal with) with a steel messenger cable. You could terminate a piece of this with jacks at either end and form a loop in the messenger for hanging from a hook. Use a 1' patch cord to connect to the jack on the ceiling and whatever length patch cord that is required on the other end. Run the lower end into an 1110 type box and anchor the messenger to the ground screw. A receptacle style jack mounting frame and flush metal cover will finish it off cleanly.

Someone might have to advise on the use of outdoor cable indoors since it will not be riser rated cable. I think a case could be made that it would be acceptable as long as it wasn't permanently attached to structure or passing through walls.
I think it's a pretty good idea, but unless it is CM or better it is a violation of 800.154(C)(3). In this application, CMX will not cut it in lengths >10'. A loop of it in the ceiling for strain relief with a standard patch cord to the machinery would work though.

I like Clinton's armored cable idea (I was looking for that link yesterday). It definitely looks more industrial and would be pretty hardy. I've never installed it - I'd have to look to see what kind of connectors can be used with the armor, and if there are any grounding/bonding requirements in chapter 8 for the sheath.

I found these yesterday. Very mobile and there would be no visible service loops in the ceiling, but they sure aren't cheap.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,406 Shoretel
189,166 CTX100 install
187,426 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 143 guests, and 435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024