web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#452871 09/13/09 03:46 AM
They use cat 3 cable and 8 pin jacks for phone here at UT. I asked the telecom guys why and they really did not have an answer...I think the IT guys wrote the specs smile
I can't tell you how many people in the dorms have plugged their computer's network cable into the white 8 pin phone jack.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#452872 09/13/09 04:08 AM
I have replaced numerous 8p8c jacks that have bent pins caused by a phone being plugged in and someone pulling or tripping on the wire.

Same here Merritt!

I color code jacks too;
Blue=8p8c for data
White/Ivory= 4p4c for digital phone
Black=4p4c for C.O. dial tone/analog system port

This doesn't stop idiots from switching all their cords to try and solver a problem.

I wire a customer up for what they purchased, not what they may purchase in the future.

#452873 09/13/09 04:22 AM
Originally posted by dwflood:
I open a jack and see that he used 6-conductor jacks for voice, but wired them '568B' (sort of). He had white/org pair on pins 1 and 2. white/green on pin 3. blue/white on pin 4. white/blue on pin 5 and green/white on pin 6.
That's not 568B, it's just plain wrong. 6p6c jacks get wired to USOC standards, not 568-anything. Learning it takes all of five minutes (less when the colors are marked right on the keystones), so you got an especially dumb IT guy who punched them down.

"And the brown pair, wrapped around the cable, probably not sure what to do with it..."

Most jacks we wire are set up as RJ14 (even if the plans call for just RJ11), so the green and brown pairs are neatly wrapped around the cable.

Leviton 6p6c keystones have a set of 'dummy terminals' for the brown pair - it can be punched down, but it isn't connected to any of the pins. We never punch down the brown pair on the jack end (unless it's data).

"If color coding and labeling isn't enough to prevent someone from trying to plug in a modem into a telephone system port, then that person has other issues."

True, but I prefer 6pxc for telephone and 8p8c for data because it's more idiot-resistant.

"Using the PROPER jacks for the cable is the mark of a craftsman. Jamming a round peg into a square hole isn't. 4 pair cable uses 8p8c jacks, 3 pair cable uses 6p6c jacks and 2 pair cable uses 4p4c jacks."

For PLUGS I would agree with you. With jacks I'd agree with Hal.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
#452874 09/13/09 04:24 AM
I wire a customer up for what they purchased, not what they may purchase in the future.

aok My opinion is that to do otherwise is taking advantage of the customer. You are asking the customer to gamble money on something that may never be used.

It seems that today everybody is a wiring expert, from the customer to the CG. Everybody except the person who has years of experience, is doing the work and gets second guessed.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#452875 09/13/09 05:29 AM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by hbiss:
Using the PROPER jacks for the cable is the mark of a craftsman. Jamming a round peg into a square hole isn't. 4 pair cable uses 8p8c jacks, 3 pair cable uses 6p6c jacks and 2 pair cable uses 4p4c jacks.

No, that's absolutely not correct. The jack you use depends on what you will have plugged into it, it has NOTHING to do with what pair count the cable might be.

-Hal
100% correct Hal.

----

Originally posted by metelcom:
I have replaced numerous 8p8c jacks that have bent pins caused by a phone being plugged in and someone pulling or tripping on the wire. I have one location with a system that does not like line shorts and that has caused port failures resulting in expensive repairs.

John pull sideways on the cord, its the pins that are giving it all the support not the sides of the jack like it should be. [Linked Image from fc08.deviantart.com]
Merritt, I will back you up on that one, as well. I actually carry some "bent-pin" 8P8C jacks in the cup holder of my van to show customers. These are from real world screw-ups and I use them as a visual aid when explaining this to customers and their IT guys. Most IT guys never had it explained and shown to them, so they gladly comply and I have essentially started the "snowball of knowledge" and they will inform the next IT "wiring engineer" laugh

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
#452876 09/13/09 09:59 AM
The last time my employer remodeled and had new voice and data drops installed, the cabling contractor used 8p8c jacks for voice and data. They also connected all runs to a patch panel, even those for voice.

I am often having problems with 6pxc plugs that don't make connection or bend the pins of the 8p8c jacks. Even if they don't *appear* to bend the jack pins, they still sometimes damage the outermost pins. This problem only shows up when we use that circuit for data in the future.

So, I can say from what I've seen at work that 8p8c jacks are a problem with 6 position plugs

I know, I know, using patch panels for voice is another discussion. It was not my choice.

-Nelson

#452877 09/13/09 12:25 PM
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Originally posted by hbiss:

aok My opinion is that to do otherwise is taking advantage of the customer. You are asking the customer to gamble money on something that may never be used.

It seems that today everybody is a wiring expert, from the customer to the CG. Everybody except the person who has years of experience, is doing the work and gets second guessed.

-Hal
The only time I make a "variation on this theme" is if I believe I'm going to be the next person who might have to run a new cable for a pony wall or hard cap area. Then I will suggest adding an additional jack or cable this point in time will be less expensive than after the walls and ceiling are all closed up.

But of course if it's a 2'x2' area and has four USOC and four DATA then I just whine to myself about why there is so many cables for such a small area. laugh

-Dean

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
#452878 09/13/09 02:57 PM
Originally posted by nogden:
Even if they don't *appear* to bend the jack pins, they still sometimes damage the outermost pins. This problem only shows up when we use that circuit for data in the future.
I ran across this problem over 10 years ago. It brought down about 30 servers in the small server room AND it was intermittent. I inspected the jack and saw the bent pins (I have no idea when or why a 6p4c phone cord was plugged into it) and I replaced it. Problem solved.

Since the title of the thread is "IT guys strike again", I should mention that I cleaned up the wiring in this room and not 2 hours later someone messed it up again (running patch cords willy-nilly over the front of the racks). I sent an email asking whomever made the mess please clean it up as it looks like crap and the culprit emailed me back all pissed off (till then I had no idea who it was). Real bright. This guy was the type of person that gives all IT guys a bad name. I didn't much like dealing with him, as I considered him a moron.

#452879 09/13/09 05:06 PM
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
An IT guy once ordered material from us to do his own install because he didn't want to pay us to do something that was "so easy". He then called back all irate and said the cable I sold him was "No Good". I asked him which wiring scheme he used. He replied, "Wiring scheme? I just matched up the colors at both ends! laugh

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#452880 09/14/09 02:26 AM
I've fixed a couple of networks that had split pairs. Barely works at 10mb, definitely not at 100mb.

The most common error that I see (when someone crimps their own 8p8c connectors):

1 white/orange
2 orange/white
3 white/green
4 green/white WRONG
5 white/blue
6 blue/white WRONG
7 white/brown
8 brown/white

All I can guess is that they look at a patch cable and duplicate the wiring, but don't notice how the blue pair is in the center and the green pair around it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,400 Shoretel
189,150 CTX100 install
187,423 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 131 guests, and 431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024