web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
On a lot of the circuits I've installed, the polarity was installed wrong at the NID. I guess it isn't technically a problem with any newer telephones, but I ran into a problem with an older (70s vintage?) rotary wallmounted phone that would get DT but couldn't dial out. I found that the polarity on the jack was reversed. As wrichey said, just flip the wires on the customer side in the NID to fix the polarity issue, if you know the polarity is wrong at the NID (use the test jack to verify, if the NID has one).

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Polarity shouldn't be a problem with the old rotary phones, only the touch tone's.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Actually, there was a field modification that could be made to rotary dial phones so that they would not dial out on a reversed polarity jacks. It was through the use of a diode inside the set.

I suppose that it is possible that some old 60's-80's vintage equipment out there that may still have this diode installed. Aside from this, there is no way that polarity would matter on a standard rotary-dial set.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Scott -

I mentioned Ground Start Trunks.

Trunks & Lines: The simplest definition is that a Line originates in a machine (a switch) and terminates on a phone while a Trunk originates in a machine (a switch) and terminates in another machine (a different switch).

For example: a circuit comes from the CO switch to a PBX. When you dial "9" from a PBX phone to get an outside connection, you're seizing that Trunk. When you pick up your phone at home to get an outside connection you're seizing a LIne.

The two circuits could be (and sometimes are) technically identical (they could both be Loop Start Circuits) though there should be some technical differences between them (a trunk should be more "robust" and durable).

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I've got an 2500 set with a polarity guard installed...I guess the older stuff needed it.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Yes Jeff It did, especilly since the ability to call into bank accounts and other fun stuffed caused a battery reversal so that the dial would not work unless the guard was in place.

Like Bill wrote, always tip to tip and ring to ring. Doesn't matter with phones anymore but it does with data, and if you get complacent with one it's liable to carry over to the other.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
OP Offline
You guys rock! Thanks so much for the great info!

Complete noob.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,867
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,677 Shoretel
189,669 CTX100 install
187,873 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nortelvoip), 151 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024