Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
OP Offline
Bill-

As much as I appreciate your attention to detail, and I REALLY DO want to make this install as professional as possible: I need to bang this entire project out BY MYSELF (I don't do this everyday, so it's slower for me) within 1-2 days over a weekend. I really don't care if it doesn't look "perfect".. It's in a basement and I think it will still look better than what's existing!

I actually intend NOT to install a backboard on that wall (at least not during the initial install)... There's only so much time in a day (or two).... and it will never be more than a single 66 during my tenure maintaining this system. Let the new owners of the house deal with it in a few years.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Do you really think I should reuse something that is 40+ years old?

What! Only 40 years? They are practically new. Unless they have been exposed to water they should be fine. I would just leave everything as is especially if you aren't going to use a backboard. Do like Ed suggests and put the cover back on when you are done.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
You may be right... I looked closely at my pictures of this block and it does seem to be in good condition. Maybe I'll just reuse it and save a lot of headache.

Here's a close-up of the existing block. I have no clue when/if it was ever replaced, how old it is, etc.
[Linked Image from waldrondigital.com]

Question is: DUMP IT or KEEP IT?

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Wow, that's a GTE installation. I thought that it was, but the close-up confirmed it. Must be west of LA, huh?

I'd keep it. It can't be that damp or that terminal would have been corroded years ago. Just pick out the first two pairs of each station cable and punch them down in vertical succession. Insulate and store the remaining pairs for future use. At the other end of the tie cable, you'll have all of your station pair assignments come out in order on the new block that you install.

Oh and don't listen to MooreTel, he's quoting you Canadian (old Northern Telecom) part numbers. He doesn't understand 66 blocks. That is a Reliable R66A1-50-MH. laugh

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Keep it, clean up the wiring like Ed said then find the cover that belongs to it.

OP Offline
Hmmmm I wonder where the cover is??? I didn't even know there was one, but now that I look at the metal bracket, it totally makes sense.

Yes, this is Verizon (formerly GTE) territory in West Los Angeles. Good call Ed.

If you can't find the cover and even care about it, I think that I have some of them. Otherwise, it has been functioning this long without a cover, so I don't see it as being an issue.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
So is THIS the NIU from the telco?? I was wondering where the hell the MPOE was. If you had to guess where on the block would the lines from Verizon actually terminate?

No, not even close. The MPOE (Minimum Point of Entry) or NIU (Network Interface Unit) is a device where the individual lines terminate before they enter the building. This can be via overhead or underground cables. Regardless, these cables will terminate on a protector or an NIU. This/these can be installed indoors or outdoors.

The wiring and equipment that you have shown is all system wiring that is unrelated to the MPOE. Here is what a typical network interface looks like, but due to the age of the house, I doubt that this is what you have:

[Linked Image from i98.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i98.photobucket.com]

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
I've seen an NIU before, but you said the system looked "GTE" and I got confused. I'm 32 and I had to really dig to think of a time when the PHONE COMPANY installed phone systems - now it makes sense!

Let me ask you this: In a 1A2 system, where would the CO lines I need to use for the future Avaya system be? At the big ole block in Pic A, or somewhere adjacent to the 1A2 in Pic B? I will trace this all out on the day of the install, but any granularity I can get in the meantime the better I can strategize. There's a good possibility the NIU itself is somewhere near the 1A2 in the basement (this is also where the city power comes in) and I just didn't notice it.

I hesitate messing with anything over there as the system is in a very precarious state right now. If something goes wrong I won't be able to fix it. Hence the stupid questions.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,609 Shoretel
189,494 CTX100 install
187,726 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (BobRobert), 126 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024