Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
la1707 Offline OP
OP Offline
OK here is my situation, I am remodeling my basement and I would like to move my Tec Center (UStec –Digital Networking Solutions box) where my phone, internet, and cable/satellite TV is stationed. The wires in this box come in from a multi media cable that goes out to the rest of the house with the internet, phone, and cable all together in yellow raping. These wires are spit up inside the box. The internet(gray) and the phone(blue) are both ran on cat5e wire and the cable TV lines are ran on a Coax cable (ones black and one is white). There is also a green cat3 wire that is not hooked up to anything within this group. The phone, internet and cable lines are all hooked up to a panel (UStec Basic Service Module- UX-226). (See picture from e-bay) I would like to move it about 10’.

I do not have any slack in the wiring to just move it over. Can the cat5e and the coax cables be extended for this 10’? If so, how? If not what can I do to move these wires and box?

[img]https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350035731812&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=350015934749&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=its%3DS%252BI%252BSS[/img]

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Splicing of CAT5 is not recommended. There is a connector that is made for this purpose.

search for 60001splice here.

EDIT: Probably should clarify: It's not recommended to use splice connectors like Scotchloks on CAT5 being used for Networking, not going to hurt voice and in all honesty probably isn't going to hurt your data either in a home environment.

Retired phone dude
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Regardless on HOW you do this job, if you do splice these in some manner, KEEP THEM ACCESSIBLE for future maintenance. Do NOT hide them up in the gyroped ceiling for instance or you will regret it later.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
actually Bill its a 60002
60002SPLICE
Cat6 Inline Splice, hardwire on 110 punchblock, much cooler and more professional than 2 plugs and a coupler.
I've used them in a pinch and had no issues with them

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by MooreTel:
Regardless on HOW you do this job, if you do splice these in some manner, KEEP THEM ACCESSIBLE for future maintenance. Do NOT hide them up in the gyroped ceiling for instance or you will regret it later.
QFT!

Absolutely, DO NOT under any circumstances finish the area around the splice... leave some sort of access.

Originally posted by skip555:
actually Bill its a 60002
60002SPLICE
Cat6 Inline Splice, hardwire on 110 punchblock, much cooler and more professional than 2 plugs and a coupler.
I've used them in a pinch and had no issues with them
Just ordered the 6002's last week and have yet to use my first one.
[Linked Image from telephoneparts.com]
As much as I don't want to use 'em, I can't wait to!

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
How many total cables are you extending?

Exactly 6?
Less than 6?
More than 6?

la1707 Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks for the replys.
i am look at extending 6 cat5e and 6 coax cables.
There's also the cat3, should i extend these as well?

if i'm looking at getting a junction box, where should i go?

thanks again
Mick

I believe the 60001 is for CAT5 and the 60002 is for CAT6, not that you couldn't use the 60002 for both.

I wouldn't mount anything in a box. Pick your location and terminate on a backboard. You should be able to find several examples with the search feature. Use your existing Box for your splices and put an access cover on it if you ever need to get at the splices.

Retired phone dude
Originally posted by la1707:
(UStec Basic Service Module- UX-226). (See picture from e-bay)
Looked at picture on E-Bay, it only states it for CATV/Sat and phone. There are 2 ports at the top I couldn't identify.

When you say "Gray" is for internet, are you refering to ethernet/LAN connections?

I believe that the Gray wires are actually being used for your voice, because this device is not a HUB for data connections.

Home Depot or Lowes or any Electrical Supply house will have some kind of J-Box you can make work. The 60001 Splice units mentioned above will work fine, and the Coax can just be "Barreled" (Part# F-81) and extended with another piece of coax.

ALSO... By ALL MEANS... leave access to the J-Box

Kirk Herron
A mistake on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
CCSG, Inc.
www.ccsgweb.com
la1707 Offline OP
OP Offline
The two things at the top of that panel (left side-Telco In and on the right side- RJ31X Line Intercept)
On my panel the Telco In – has a Gray cat5e wire in it, which comes from the main quest phone jack boxes on the side of my house.

The RJ31X Line Intercept doesn’t have anything in it.

I believe that it’s for the internet; I have DSL through my phone company.
As you can see on e-bay, that box’s has two lines of jacks on it, one line of five that fellow down from the Telco In and the other following down from the RJ31X line intercept.

I just figured out that all of them are phone lines they are just in different colored cat5e cables.

New idea, can I run two Tec Center box’s so that they both can be accessible.
How can I get both of these box’s to communicate with each other?
There are two lines that come in from outside one that is hooked up in the Telco In slot(cat5e) and the other hooked up in the CATV/Antenna In slot(coax line).
Can I use a connection that will make one (cat5e and coax) in to two, so that I can run the main wires in to both boxes?

What is the CATV/Antenna In?
because in the outs area on my panel for this a black Coax line is being ran to my office.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,586 Shoretel
189,465 CTX100 install
187,619 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024