Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
skip555 Offline OP
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
OP Offline
I was working at a install yesterday and verizon terminated to a Krone block , the tech said thats what their using now

since I didn't have a krone punch tool he punched some jumper wire down for me with his tool.

after he left I played around a bit(using pin 49 and 50 in case I screwed it up ) and punched wires down with 110 blade .

it seemed fine

I know harris makes a "dually blade " that does both krone and 110 so they have to be real similar

is their any reason not to use 110 blade on the krone block ?

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Geez, NYNEX was using them for a while and even Bell Atlantic played with them for a short period about ten years ago. We don't see the Krone blocks much at all around these parts anymore. I have not seen any interconnects using Krone either. They are largely popular in Europe, but I have yet to see them used anywhere else on a large scale.

I attended a class for Krone and you definitely should NOT use a 110 blade on them. These blocks do not rely upon impact to terminate the wire, similar to BIX. Remember that these blocks grip the wire from the sides, not from the bottom like 110.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
skip555 Offline OP
OP Offline
Geez, NYNEX was using them for a while and even Bell Atlantic played with them for a short period about ten years ago.
Well thats about right for Verizon , 10 years behind the curve :rolleyes:

I have one of the harris dually blades ...somewhere

about 10 years ago there was a deal where krone and harris would send you a free one . so I sent off for it . It really didn't work well on 110 and I hadn't run across krone block until yesterday the dually has been kicking around for years and now that I need it I cant find it

This was a actual verizon tech , verizon truck and all not a sub . He thought krone was the newest thing going . I don't think he quite believed me when I told him I had a blade that I got ten years or so ago and that I knew krone had been around quite awhile

Remember that these blocks grip the wire from the sides, not from the bottom like 110.
he was telling me that he thought you can punch more than one wire down per pin

if it grips from the side that might be true

I checked eBay and you can get the actually KRONE tool for 10.50 which included shipping so I went ahead and bought one

Skip

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Krone punch tools are on eBay all the time, usually from Great Britian - if you're going to be running into them, might be worth picking one up (I've had things mailed from England, and it's not very expensive)

skip555 Offline OP
OP Offline
thats what I figured

the one I got is coming from hong kong

1.99 for the tool + 8.50 shipping

so for 10.50 , I've got one in the truck next time I run across a Krone block

Skip

The new Krone blocks will work with a 110 blade and accept two wires on each position. How do you know if it's a new style block? You don't unless you just bought them so my advice is always use a Krone blade. As far as I know Harris, now Fluke still makes them. You can always get the complete tool from Krone. Anixter stocks Krone.

Verizon uses them all the time around here for NIs. (RJ-21x with or without an Amphenol on the bracket) I love them and even stock them for when Verizon didn't install one. Why? I keep the test plug, the one that splits the sides, with my banjo. I connect my butt set and run down the block in about 10 seconds flat. If I get no dial tone on one or more pairs I know the problem is outside because the test plug disconnects the IW when it's inserted.

I know some have said that they have had problems with those contacts in the block but in all the years I have been using them I can remember only one instance where this was a problem.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
DJG Offline
Verizon has been installing Krone blocks as RJ-21X around here since the late 80's early 90's, we use to contract for Rolm of New York & New England back then, they also used them on all there frame's

Voice/Data & Cable Contractors, Avaya/Lucent, Nortel and Panasonic Serving Central Fl
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
We have both AT&T and Verizon in our area. VZ has just started using the Krone blocks for new installs. Funny thing is, the VZ tech used a 110 blade. Must've been the new Krone blocks. smile

Justin:

What's sad is that you are referring to Pacific Telephone and GTE! Look at how many name changes have occurred over the years between them.

As I stated in an earlier post, I haven't seen Krone in the Bell Atlantic region of Verizon's territory in ten years. We get lines delivered on outdoor NIDs with individual RJ11s or if indoors, on traditional RJ21X jacks. Krone came and went a long time ago around here.

True, their design allows multiple conductors to be inserted into the same slot. It's nice, but not something that's really needed in this day and age. Most circuits are 1:1, aren't they?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
skip555 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by 5years&counting:
We have both AT&T and Verizon in our area. VZ has just started using the Krone blocks for new installs. Funny thing is, the VZ tech used a 110 blade. Must've been the new Krone blocks. smile
the verizon tech was using the krone tool , same one I just bought on ebay . when he finished he said "where using these new krone blocks now on new installs you probably don't have a krone tool do you " ?

I didn't so I cut him 20 pieces of cross connect wire about 6' long , had him punch those down and then I set up the mushrooms and cross connected from there after he left

they may be the new blocks because as I said my tests with 110 blade seemed to work just fine.

[Linked Image from i43.photobucket.com]

Skip

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,625 Shoretel
189,516 CTX100 install
187,774 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 154 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024