Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#445034 01/30/07 08:57 PM
Originally posted by JBean3329:
Do you have any legs off the amp that aren't being used or don't have TV's connected? Try loading unused connections - I had similar problems aboard ship in my Navy days. Try terming unused connections with a 75 ohm load.
Good point. Terminating unused ports and connections is a rarely done practice on the low voltage side for some reason. Simply closing the system can solve numerous problems caused by ingress into the system. You certainly don't HURT anything by having it all properly terminated.

-Robert F
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#445035 01/31/07 02:52 AM
OP Offline
Yes Hal, I know they make proper test equipment. Also, there are splitters with open ports that should be terminated. This is one of those 'take a look at why it doesn't work' type of deals...there isn't a whole lot I can do, because the campus has their own cable TV people. Believe me, if it was up to me, I would re do the entire thing. My hands are pretty much tied in the matter.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#445036 01/31/07 09:55 AM
OP Offline
EDIT
We got everything working. Bypassed the Amp and went straight out to the TVs. It all works fine now.
Jeff

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#445037 01/31/07 04:03 PM
Actually open splitter and tap ports happen all the time and not by mistake. Of course it's good practice to put terminators on unused ports but an unterminated port results from every jack not connected to something. When was the last time somebody put terminators on unused wall jacks? Even if you did they would never stay there.

Fact of the matter is the terminations (or lack of) will not affect the signal levels. Open ports can contribute to signal leakage which may get the cable company in trouble but that's about it.

Bypassed the Amp and went straight out to the TVs. It all works fine now.

Or so it seems. That amp musta been there for some reason don't you think? Like I said, TVs don't make very good signal level meters.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#445038 01/31/07 04:20 PM
Fact of the matter is the terminations (or lack of) will not affect the signal levels. Open ports can contribute to signal leakage which may get the cable company in trouble but that's about it.
However it's a place where outside interference can leak into the system.

#445039 01/31/07 07:22 PM
Yes but that little bit is unlikely to cause any problems since the return carrier level has to be quite high.

Used to be that ingress was a big problem when it leaked into feeders and trunks. That problem has been eliminated with fiber.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#445040 02/01/07 01:20 AM
I had a situation like this happen (which is what makes me ensure terminated ends now).

Customers were retired seniors, she complained about noise bars in her TV all day and her husband had a hobby woodworking shop in the basement. He only worked in there during the day and the TV was fine at night.

I found a coax hanging in the shop (that was prewired for a wall mount set) was picking up the noise from the machinery. I screwed a female to female coupler and a 75 ohm terminator on, problem gone!

I also see this a lot on CCTV systems with unterminated loop backs and monitor outputs. Of course like Hal stated, the original carrier is weaker in this case so it doesn't take as much return ingress to cause noise.

#445041 02/01/07 05:59 AM
When using terminators on amplifier ports, just make sure that the amplifier is NOT passing power through it, I terminated a long run one day and had forgotten to place the power plug in the correct position, I made the whole cable system snow. :shrug:

I finally realized what I had done when I went back to the terminator to make a test and burned the heck out of my fingers, those resistors can make quite a bit of heat!! eek

#445042 02/01/07 06:25 AM
They do make power isolated terminators as well as splitters but yes, the correct way is to not power the output if it's not needed.

Twisted Pair- I think if you analyzed that situation you would have found problems such as low or marginal signal level and/or an abortion of cables and splitters. Something like that just can't happen when things are done correctly even with unterminated runs. This is why I stress test equipment and knowing what to look for. Judging proper operation with only a TV and no knowledge of proper design is not going to cut it.

I also see this a lot on CCTV systems with unterminated loops...

Different story, that's video and all loop through ends have to be terminated.

-Hal

#445043 02/01/07 12:52 PM
OP Offline
Yeah I am still not sure what the problem is...the TV guy came today and gave us another amp to try. I put it in, and the signal was still horrible. Took the amp out, and it was fine.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,395 Shoretel
189,119 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (JBean3329, justbill, BobRobert), 127 guests, and 418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024