Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Remember guys, at one time the idea was data on pins 1,2,3 and 6, phone on 4 & 5, and 7 & 8 Future. Future = Spare 'cause we don't know what to do with the other pair from this 4-pair AT&T unloaded on us.
Now I've REALLY confused icpeanuts!And if he thinks there's lot's of money in this field, somebody set him straight.
Who, me, bitter? NAH!
John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Speaking of a standard...
How come non phone people (usually data or electricians) instinctively install phone jacks upside down, with the tab on top?

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
since electrical outlets are installed with the ground up it probably makes sense to them

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
That makes sense. laugh Another reason may be that most of us have thumbs on the top. :thumb:

What I don't get is why they didn't use pairs 1-2 and 7-8 for data, leaving the middle two pairs for phone lines 1 and 2. As it is, if you plug a data cable into an 8 position, two-line, phone jack, it will apply voltage to the data circuit that is using pair 3-6 and possibly fry it, expecially when the phone rings.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Michael:

The origin of the 8P8C plug/jack in mainstream use came long before data ran on anything but coax. AT&T's systems in the early 1970's required three pairs, sometimes four for long runs on their electronic sets. They set up their own pin assignments, one for voice, one for data and one for power. Again, this was years before 568A/B was even on the drawing board.

I would assume that since AT&T systems were dominant in many major markets, their wiring became the "standard". Their wiring pattern is what is known today as 568B. I would imagine that if their systems hadn't been developed with this wiring pattern, 568A would be the only standard today.

I guess the simple answer is that the concept of LANs as we know them today didn't exist back then. As they today's LANs developed, they were adapted to work in harmony with what had pretty much become the wiring norm.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Also private line data, to two digital data circuits do use pins 1,2 and 7,8. To me data is not the same as computer network wiring. Also a 4 wire phone system wouldn't fry anything on a computer network as pins 3,6 if used would be the digital portion of the phone system so there's just not that much voltage. As far as plugging the incoming lines into a network jack, well that's a good arguement for using the right jack for the job you're doing.

Retired phone dude
Originally posted by ev607797:

I would assume that since AT&T systems were dominant in many major markets, their wiring became the "standard"...
What I heard was this.

Back when TIA/EIA was coming up with a wiring standard for data networks, they were essentially strong armed by AT&T to use their prevalent pattern as we know it today, 568B. Essentially, w/o an AT&T approval on a new standard back then was like toothpaste w/o an ADA emblem stamped on the tube. So the compromise was 568A, everyone was happy; AT&T could still keep their equipment running on the new wiring standard and the TIA/EIA felt as if they didn’t really give in to it.

Like i said this is what was told to me.

~r

KLD Offline
Rusty, that might have been what you heard BUT ----

Bell Specs were in use before anyone even heard of TIA/EIA.

568B came first, 568A came only about 10 years ago.

568A was pushed by the off-shore manufactureres so their two pair telephone sets would x-connect straight. The IT types loved that as one patch panel could do data and voice.

laugh

Ken
---------
icpeanuts as U work in your area and find the work of others and see what shceme they used. For data pick either 568a or b. Make sure that all ends match. jacks, patch panel, patch cords, etc... I my area we use 568b and I have not come cross one using 568a. Maybe one time long time ago. Most phone business systems use one pair now. 4 and 5 are the pins used,that's the same for rj11,568a,and 568b. Sets a standard for yourself and use it until you find a need to change it. U will get the hang of it. Good Luck!

FTorres388
Calm seas do not make skilled sailors.
568A was pushed by the off-shore manufactureres so their two pair telephone sets would x-connect straight. The IT types loved that as one patch panel could do data and voice.
If your terminating to a patch panel then it doesn't matter a two pair will work fine on either scheme .

so the same patch panel always will do two pair a or b

it only becomes a issue if your terminating one end to a block

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,868
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,691 Shoretel
189,709 CTX100 install
187,894 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (KRRath), 138 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024