Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#442717 06/12/05 03:55 PM
OP Offline
OK so you are doing your cabling job and you have run your cable and pulled it through the wall and they are hanging there ready to be terminated....what color do you use on the jacks?

~Chris

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#442718 06/12/05 06:59 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chris02081:
OK so you are doing your cabling job and you have run your cable and pulled it through the wall and they are hanging there ready to be terminated....what color do you use on the jacks?

~Chris
</font>

There are so many colors to chose from.. Pick a one.

The company I work for now likes to use Red for data and voice color that matches the face place. I'm not fond of red, except for special circuits, servers, T1, or something like that.

I've seen many installs use blue for data. And others use multiple colors for mutiple jacks..IE First data blue, second data red.

Last company used voice and data that matched the faceplace (usually white or ivory), and then we would mark the function (V for voice, D for Data) with a labler, or I spell put voice, data if they don't look like they can remember what V & D stand for.

Color coding the whole system sometimes makes sense.. Use blue cable, jacks and cords so that the user knows to plug in blue cord to blue jack.. That way you don't get a fax line pluged into you data jack.
There are some jacks that you can keep white, and use a colored insert tab.

Sometimes the customer wallpapers over the jack and faceplate anyway, covering the number in the proccess (so make a map).

So do you want the jacks to stand out, or blend in?

If in doubt, I ask the person thats paying for the install, the person pluging everything in, or the one color coordinating the office.

I always try to match the faceplate to the existing, or to what the electrician is using. White seems to be more common now days.

#442719 06/12/05 08:54 PM
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
I hate it when I walk into a place where a cabling vendor used a color faceplate that didn't match the electrical. The telcos are very notorious for this, but others are as well. It seems like a bit of a lack of pride in workmanship. Most offices use either white or ivory, so I stock both on my van. This allows me to match whatever is already in place. It looks pretty bad to have a white telecom faceplate right next to an ivory electrical faceplate, just because the vendor refuses to stock anything other than white. If it were to come to something other than white or ivory, I would leave it up to the customer whether they wanted me to get the correct colors.

One other thing I noticed that bugs me. Maybe I've mentioned this before: Home Depot stocks Leviton telecom parts. They also sell Leviton electrical parts. In electrical, they sell mostly white and IVORY faceplates, outlets, switches, etc. In telecom, they USED to stock white, ivory, and some almond. Around here, every store I've gone into now ONLY stocks white and ALMOND!! What is up with that? That doesn't match the ivory! Who uses almond?? I very rarely see almond switches and outlets. If they were going to choose 2 colors so they didn't have to stock more than 2, why oh why go with almond???? But I'm not bothered by this. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

------------------
[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA

#442720 06/13/05 01:48 PM
I've heard electricians complaining that the Leviton ivory plates from Home Despot don't match the Leviton ivory from other sources. Didn't pay much attention, it never occured to me that they may be almond. I just assumed that Leviton was dumping their off-color rejects on the ignorant DIY's.

I think you may be right about the almond though. So now it looks like Leviton is dumping their unpopular stock on the ignorant DIY's with HD paying pennies for it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#442721 06/13/05 01:54 PM
re: color of jacks

in our world:

without a specific directive from the client
and not having to match what is already there (a new install)

data = black,

voice/phone = the color of the faceplate which would be white or ivory

voice/other = modem/fax is the other color
white or ivory the one not used on the phone jack

we do have one client who has a nationwide standard where all data/voice jacks are the same color, since we do label everything with a label maker it doesn't cause problems but still very weird. it does make for great service calls as they keep plugging pc patch cords into the voice jacks.

#442722 06/13/05 02:03 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tickets:
it does make for great service calls as they keep plugging pc patch cords into the voice jacks.</font>

Who reads labels anyway? Of course for that matter, who pays attention to the color of the jack, or to the fact that one is bigger than the other. How many calls have you gotten where the customer either said that the plug was too big to fit in the jack, or too small? [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

#442723 06/13/05 02:26 PM
i don't ever remember a customer commenting about the size of the plug versus the jack.
usually someone at their tech support department is assisting them over the phone,
usually addressing why the pc won't connect to the network. of course they get frustrated with their fellow employee and then one of the last ditch efforts to correct the situation is the it person asking the employee to plug it in "somewhere else". this works great in locations that have 4 jacks per employee
2v/2d. of course the person IT has never been to one of the regular offices and has no clue that 2 are labeled with a d and a number and 2 have a v and a number.

it is just a great source of service calls.

when it's the simple usual one voice/one data and i take the call, there is never a relocation of patch cords or line cords etc.
as part of the trouble shooting process before a tech is dispatched.

#442724 06/13/05 02:34 PM
We try to stay consistant with this as well as the wire, it's easier when a different tech walks in to work at the site.
Phone = faceplate color
Data = blue
Fax = Black

We also use panduit Exec faceplates for lab eling

#442725 06/13/05 02:55 PM
The only problem I have with specific jack colors for specific devices (other than data) is this: so when a fax line is moved from one cable to another, do you move or remove the black fax jack? That's seems a bit counterproductive.

------------------
[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA

#442726 06/15/05 02:42 PM
OP Offline
Well after all the responses I will share my personal (and company) standard.

We use only Hubbell jacks/face plates (UNLESS!!! it is a resisential job then we almost always have to go to Leviton to match colors as Leviton does have the best color choices that I have seen and customers are most happy with, they also have redily available decora plates which goes to matching what the electrician is putting in for outlets and switches).

We go with Office white primarily (which is actually an almond kind of color, off white I guess it would be) or in the case of request just white (which is a bright white).

When doing a voice/data jack we always use a jack that is color of the faceplate for voice 1 which we punch the blue and orange pairs to and then use the opposite color for voice 2 for the green and brown pairs so you have two voice jacks, we always use the USOC jacks for these so that the end user can not plug their rj45 patch cord into them, only an rj11 cord will fit.

As for the data if it is only one we always go with blue and if there are two data's we use what is readily available from Graybar, either yellow or black to match what we pull for wire, white cat3 wire for the voice and blue cat5e/6 for the first data pull a yellow second data so it will either match the jack (yellow) or Halloween (black) either way it is easy to figure out the scheme.

~Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,433 Shoretel
189,204 CTX100 install
187,445 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024