Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
oscar34 Offline OP
OP Offline
there are 2 serial ports on the VM unit. both are attached to modems. VM COM port 2 connects to a modem that then connects to Phone system COM port 3. VM COM port 1 connects to a different modem that connects to Phone system COM port 1.

There is a cable hanging from the Phone System COM Port 2, but it is bound and doesn't appear it was ever connected to anything.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
That appears to be your problem. Com3 should go directly to whichever serial port on the voice mail that is specified for serial integration. Looks like you're hooked up wrong. I have installed hundreds if not thousands of Small Office Lites and never seen two modems hooked to them.

[Linked Image]
Admin
Admin
If you still have issues with this you might get hold of MarkK. . He is in the next county over and is a Comdial dealer.

[Linked Image]
oscar34 Offline OP
OP Offline
All 4 COM ports coming out of the phone system are RJ-11 connectors...i don't see any serial ports on the phone system. I thought the modems were for remote access by the installer, maybe?

Do you think I should buy a RJ-11 to Serial adapter and connect Phone System COM Port 3 directly to VM COM Port 2?

Maybe that modem went bad?

Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
There should have already been a serial to modular adapter. Like RBF said, there shouldn't be a second modem, and I'm not sure why it would be there, unless the second modem was originally installed as an external modem for managing the voicemail. This would be a very unusual setup. Regardless, there should be a serial to modular adapter on the voicemail, and then a line cord going to Com 3 (the modular serial port) on the phone system.

Justin

oscar34 Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks guys!!! I will get an adapter and hook it up that way...see if that fixes my problems.

Yes, Justin, I think you are correct. they had a modem connected to the Phone System and a separate mode connected to the VM system...for dial-in tech support, I guess. They have the Com 3 line going into the 2nd modem (modular to modular) and then a serial connection going from the modem to the Com 2 port on the VM.

Thanks again!

John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,434 Shoretel
189,205 CTX100 install
187,448 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024