web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
If you are using the same port that your modem was plugged into then you must use 2400 baud.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
It still doesn't work! I am completely frustrated. I used Hyperterm and NOTHING came up on the screen. I used 9600 to begin and then dropped down to 2400 - still blank.

Perhaps the adapter shell pins on the rj 11 side are different than the ones you guys use.

PLease review the RJ11 side pin outs below.

X YL RD WH X
X Bl Gr Bk X

Is this what your basic shell adapter looks like?

Also, once I make an adapter, is there someway to easly remove the wire after I jam them into specfic pin numbers? Once I try a specific wiring schema I'm unable to break the adapter down and try again. I'm stuck with the adapter as is.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dtmf:
telenewbie,
I don't think it's your cable or DB9, the DB9 and cord I gave you the configuration for is the same as the kit that Comdial will send you. If you look at the pin readouts that jwooten posted it's the same as the one I posted. The only difference is that it doesn't have the 3rd pair,which doesn't get used (not an issue)
As jwooten said you should try the hyperterm, it always gets in. Look at your DB9 and if it's right don't waste another one just use a 2pair cord and that will work fine. Let us know what happens. Personally, and I think jwooten would agree you should bag VMMI and go with the hyperterm.

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited April 19, 2003).]
</font>

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
On the DBX the bottom port on the CPU card would be your maintinance port. Is this the one you are plugged into. And your distance is no longer than 25 feet is it.
I don't understand your pin read out you posted, you show ten pins for a 9 pin connector. If you look at the female end of the DB9 they are marked 1-9. Tell us what you have in them.

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited April 21, 2003).]

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
OP Offline
First let me saw that I appreciate the time you are taking to help me troubleshoot this issue. I'm sure it's equally frustrasting for you.

SOrry that I was not clearer in my last post.
WHat I listed was the INSIDE if the adapter shell. I was concerned that my wires were not conencted inside the shell as your wires are.

To clarify, if you look inside of the db9 shell, I have 10 holes that wires can come out of. Of the 10 holes I have wires comeing from only six of them. The wires are coming from the holes I have listed above.

As for the finished femal end (black, that has small numbers and is where I conenct the colored wires to), I have only 9 holes for the nine pins of the serial port.

Again, when I look at my Comdial DXP I have the card marked DXCPU-68K. It has four ports on it. The ports are label from top to botton, RS232(1), RS232(2), RELAY(1), and RELAY(2). There isn't a port marked maintinance. I plug my cable into the ported marked RS232(1).

Thanks,
PAul

EDITED:I can take pictures and email if that would help you troubleshoot my issue.

On the DBX the bottom port on the CPU card would be your maintinance port. Is this the one you are plugged into. And your distance is no longer than 25 feet is it.
I don't understand your pin read out you posted, you show ten pins for a 9 pin connector. If you look at the female end of the DB9 they are marked 1-9. Tell us what you have in them.

</font>

[This message has been edited by telenewbie (edited April 21, 2003).]

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
Your DB9 should only have 9 holes, period. I don't know what type of end you have but if it has 10 holes then it's not a DB9. Maybe you better shoot me that e-mail. At this point I have no idea what end you are using.
E-mail me a picture of you CPU also.

OP Offline
Check your email - pics were sent.

Your DB9 should only have 9 holes, period. I don't know what type of end you have but if it has 10 holes then it's not a DB9. Maybe you better shoot me that e-mail. At this point I have no idea what end you are using.
E-mail me a picture of you CPU also.

</font>

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
Ok the top left DB9 in the picture is right on the money. What's the #2 port being used for? have you tried it. Typicaly you would use the #2 port for the modem and the #1 port for the programmer. Also see if either port will let you enter Control T

OP Offline
I traced back the #2 port and found it was connected to the Vmail computer. Funny enough, it had a db9 connector. Why I didn't find this sooner, I don't know. I unplugged the connector from the vmail and plugged into my laptop. I didn't have any luck with Hyperterm but VMMI worked like a champ. AH! FInally I was able to get it.

Once I had a 'working' adapter is was easy. I disassembled the 'working' db9 and recorded the wire scheme. It was RED 3/Green2/yellow5. Just like you and Jwooten indicated. So, I made another adapter with those specs and used THE SAME CABLE that I unplugged from the 'working' adapter. It didn't work. Confused?!

Ok. I went back to my orignal theory that pehaps the starting pin number inside the adapter was not the same as the ones I have. That theory turned out to be true. The inside of each adapter shell 10 holes but they had different starting points for the colored wires. The order is indictaed below.

Bl BK GR Br X
X Or Rd Yl Wh

Remeber my unmade adapters have a different inside order.

X Bl Gr Bk X
X YL RD WH X

After I traced back each wire, noted its position inside the adapter and substuted number and color, it worked.

I quickly made up a few adapters so I won't be in this position again.

Thanks guys for all your help. Any additional questions I may have should be easy. They'll all be basic programming questions :-)

Paul

Ok the top left DB9 in the picture is right on the money. What's the #2 port being used for? have you tried it. Typicaly you would use the #2 port for the modem and the #1 port for the programmer. Also see if either port will let you enter Control T</font>

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
Glad to see you finally got it. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
We will be here if you need us.

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Not all DB-9 connectors are created equal, as you found out. I try to buy from the same vendor BUT I always check and I buy RJ-45 to DB-9 and DB-25 in both male and female styles. Now if you really want to have some fun, try the UDS-10 from www.lantronix.com You can administer from your computer across the network.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,630 Shoretel
189,518 CTX100 install
187,776 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024