web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I've heard of a story from a friend that you could get a couple of old Cisco 1600 routers with WIC-1DSU-T1 and run a T1 on it. 1.544Mbit, not a ton of network traffic could flow over it, but enough for a few computers + light web browsing. I've never personally tried it, but I'm sure someone here could fill us in if this is possible or even recommended.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Originally posted by hawk82:
I've heard of a story from a friend that you could get a couple of old Cisco 1600 routers with WIC-1DSU-T1 and run a T1 on it. 1.544Mbit, not a ton of network traffic could flow over it, but enough for a few computers + light web browsing. I've never personally tried it, but I'm sure someone here could fill us in if this is possible or even recommended.
I am not sure why you would do this. Besides the cost of the cisco equipment, you have just bottlenecked your speed again. The 25 pair between buildings will get them 10mb minimum, and if its clean, it can go faster. Whenever I run across a situation that deviates from standard practice, I get an okay from the customer, and I note it on the invoice as well. This way, if they do come back and say something, you have a record of it.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Admin
Admin
Sigh. Not rocket science here. $300 gets you a pair and your speed ought to be 25 Mb.
https://www.netsys-direct.com/products.php?cat=7

You can pay more or less, and get higher speed, expecially over coax...if you have it.

Try a search engine using Ethernet Extenders.

Carl

The costs of the Cisco gear should be very inexpensive. You can get used 1600 series or 1700 series routers on eBay for less than $50 a piece, and most likely with the WIC-1DSU-T1.

Since the OP didn't specify what the maximum interface/network speed the customer wanted to achieve, that's why I recommended this.

You could also find a pair of SDSL modems if you wanted faster speed. Then you'd only need a single pair out of the 25pr.

You can connect 2 cisco routers with T1 WICs together using a T1 crossover cable.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
PENCOM Offline OP
OP Offline
I tried it, did'nt work. Take my quote to do it the right way ( fiber optic w/ data converters ) and divide it by $48 a month, and his answer was to keep paying Charter. I hate Charter!

Definition of an I.T. expert: A Person with the telephone number of the Person with the answer.
Yeah, i don't remember exactly how to config the router, it's been a while

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I've used the StarTech 110VDSLEXT 10/100 VDSL Ethernet Extender Kit in a similar situation, and they have been working very well.

Fiber would be my choice too if you want the right solution. I does get hard to show a roi to those who think short term. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,615 Shoretel
189,507 CTX100 install
187,769 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 163 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024