Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Ed, Skip nailed it with his link to https://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

I have an Acer netbook, with 802.11 wifi and wired ethernet. Also have an old Thinkpad running Win98, and only ethernet.

On the netbook, go to the wireless network connection, right click, properties, then the Advanced tab. Tic the box for "Allow other network users to to connect through this computer's Internet connection"

It will set the wired ethernet connection to 192.168.0.1, subnet of 255.255.255.0

On the Thinkpad (your desktop computer), set the ethernet to 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0. Set the Gateway to 192.168.0.1.

I was able to ping and browse by IP address. When I set the DNS Server to 4.2.2.2, I am now able to ping and browse by regular http names.

Oh, and use a crossover cable!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Ed, I was out of the office for two days for my anniversary but I'm back today so Ill test a setup with Verizon wireless to make sure its going to work right. Ive read some reports of people having trouble sharing Verizon because of the Zerizon Manager software but ill test it to see what happens and let you know.

OK, works good.

go to start, connect to, right click on Verizon Wireless, click on make default, right click again and this time go to properties. Click on advanced and check all three boxes if not already checked and also choose the local area connection in the drop down box. Hit apply and ok. Thats it. you should now be able to use a crossover cable in between the two computers and access the internet on both. You dont have to worry about ip addresses as turning on ICS enables the DHCP server on the loca area connection and Windows will take care of managing the IP address assignment.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Well, I got it to work with my own netbook and PC at home, but I had to use a combination of everyone's information.

I wasn't having any luck with anything happening automatically, Tito. I changed the IP/DNS information to static and it worked like a champ.

You guys are great for taking the time to help me with this. I'm sure I'll be able to retrace my steps at my friend's place. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Ed,
Isn't that why we're all here?
Bill

OP Offline
Very true, but it is still a good feeling when on the receiving end now and then!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Well, believe it or not, the sense of urgency for this project took the back seat and I finally got around to setting this up tonight. As expected, everything worked perfectly.

My only obstacle was that the driver for her NIC was missing. I can only assume that her original dial-up MSN software did this, but who knows? After getting the original CD containing drivers and utilities, I got the NIC working and came out looking as if I knew what I was doing.

Again, thanks guys for helping me get this going. This place really is amazing.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
I know this is old, but another ISP independent DNS server is Google's at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4. Of course if your ISP looses the route to the backbone then you will have other problems.

Windows 'tracert -d <host>' and Linux/Mac 'traceroute -d <host>' will help you diagnose routing problems. The <host> can be either a name or an IP. The -d speeds it up by not trying to resolve host names during the process.

About me:
8 years of network support
7 years IT field service

Always looking for the next project to be done.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,623 Shoretel
189,511 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 156 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024