Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#259667 04/17/06 11:35 AM
FYI info for ya…

NCTE= Network Channel Terminating Equipment (commonly call a SmartJack whether it is or not) generally speaking, is not used for anything on the CPE side of the demarc…. Meaning it will have no effect on your install of CPE equipment one way or another.

Speaking as a Telco circuit engineer those SmartJacks are placed (or sometimes not placed) at the customer premise for several reasons.
* Remote Maintenance: NCTE’s are loopable devices that can be used to trouble shoot circuit trouble without rolling a truck.
* Signal Enhancement: As the length of cooper loops get longer, sometimes condition is required.
* Hybrid Devices: Many 4-wire (full duplex) digital services can be delivered via ONE PAIR of wires due to these SmartJacks... The terminating devices can convert the signal back over to 4-wire at the demarc. Thus saving a pair for the local provider.

So technically speaking the T3 MUX is not really conditioning the signal for you… Having the MUX there on-site is much more like moving the C.O. really, really close to you where conditioning and/or copper pair conservation is not a necessity.

So moral of the story is… Don’t get hung up not going forward with an install just ‘case there’s no NCTE (SmartJack.)

Thanks,
Bryan

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#259668 04/17/06 12:55 PM
Sprint brought in fiber off the SONET Ring to the MPOE to the DS3 MUX and broke it back out via copper to their protector terminal for DMARC.

So, what you are saying Bryan is that because this is fiber to the MUX which is at the customer premises there is no need for NCTE to condition any copper?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#259669 04/18/06 03:02 AM
Originally posted by hbiss:
Sprint brought in fiber off the SONET Ring to the MPOE to the DS3 MUX and broke it back out via copper to their protector terminal for DMARC.

So, what you are saying Bryan is that because this is fiber to the MUX which is at the customer premises there is no need for NCTE to condition any copper?

-Hal
Yes sir… that would be what I was gettin' at… With much fewer of them pesky words! :rolleyes: (I get a little too wordy sometimes!)

The MUX would also be able to do monitoring on the 28 T1’s riding on it.

-----------------------
Bryan
#259670 04/18/06 03:13 AM
Subject: T3 vs. DS3 terminology

I also meant to mention this on my earlier post to maybe help some of the earlier terminology confusion. More gee whiz info if anybody wants it.

DS3 refers to the digital rate of 44.736 Mb/s as well as signal format (non-SONET or ATM.)

T3 would be the non-SONET carrier system for a DS3 signal.

Both terms can get used interchangeable at times.

Thanks,

Cars –n- Guitars Racin’
Bryan

-----------------------
Bryan
#259671 04/18/06 04:35 PM
Thanks Bryan for your input and info as this was a new experience for me the whole trip. Until yesterday I was unaware of the option of engineering with or without a Smart Jack and couldn't understand the concept of not conditioning the copper from the terminal block. I honestly thought Sprint had an anal implant and that I was in for a wonderful time ahead of me.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,418 Shoretel
189,183 CTX100 install
187,432 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 152 guests, and 419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024