Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
clgjr Offline OP
OP Offline
And no it's never been used on a domain, as far as I know! Anyway to check that!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by clgjr:
And no it's never been used on a domain, as far as I know! Anyway to check that!
One way is to click on Start-->Control Panel-->System-->Computer Name-->Change.

clgjr Offline OP
OP Offline
no domain. says it's a member of workgroup! that ok?

Check your local security policy. Start->Run->secpol.msc

Local Policies->User Rights Assignment

If you see anything there that looks like a Domain account, then you've had group policies pushed down from a domain. Such an indication would be if the "Allow log on locally" policy had a user listed as "anything\user"

Of course if you were the last person to install XP on this computer and you didn't have it on a domain, then everything I'm saying is moot. smile If someone else did the install and you are the user then policies are most likely the culprit. And example would be a company assigned laptop where the users are given an admin account so they can install software without calling IT, but they cannot mess with network settings or add hardware.

It's also possible that malware has done something to your local security policy in an attempt and preventing removal.

In either case, the following link explains how you would reset your policies back to default:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/reset-local-security-policy/

clgjr Offline OP
OP Offline
I will keep trying... I looked at the device manager under other PC's and the tcp/ip adapter doesn't show up. Guess everything you read on the net could be misleading. I'm thhinking maybe a virus too at this point. I will keep you all posted and let you know what i find. Thanks guys for your help thus far... stressing, but at least I have several other PC's to use. The thing is everything works fine except the tcp/ip property tab and the device manager being blank! very perplexing however!!

clgjr Offline OP
OP Offline
Also I read that since tcp/ip is a critical part of winXP you can not simple un-install and re-install it! is that true??

Hello.

As a local administrator, try the following and see if it helps:

Start/Run/GPedit.msc

Navigate to: User configuration/Administrative Templates/Network/Network Connections/

The two keys you will be examining are named "Prohibit access to properties of components of a LAN configuration" and "Prohibit TCP/IP advanced configuration".

I'm pretty sure I saw a TechNet article about this a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can find it and send it to you. As I remember there were a couple of causes and remedies mentioned in the article.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,425 Shoretel
189,197 CTX100 install
187,439 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024