Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Susanna Offline OP
OP Offline
We're a small business and our old phone system just broke. It was a Vodavi system, and it is outdated and the only way to fix it is to use reworked old parts. This is the cheaper option, but we weren't completely satisfied with the system in the first place so we are looking at getting a new system. So far we have a quote for and NEC system.

I apologize for not having a ton of information, but I barely know anything about this phone system or any other. I have been trying to find reviews of systems or even the phones on the internet and have not been able to find very much helpful information. This is a bit over my head since I don't have the time to spend to learn about it...we need to get it fixed or replaced as soon as possible, of course, and all I know (which isn't much) is what I have gleaned in a few hours spent looking.

Our system has:

4 phone lines
Phones in about 20 rooms with an intercom system

Reliability is our number one priority.
Ease of use is a close second.

If anyone can point me to a comparison of different systems or a review of an NEC system or let me know if there is anything we should be sure to avoid or that has proven to be especially reliable I would greatly appreciate it. I will read as much as I can here on the phone systems, but time is short and I'm such a complete novice that I'm worried I'll miss something important.

Let me know if any other information would be helpful to you, and I do understand that it's impossible for anyone to say specifically what would be best. Mostly I would like to know if NEC is considered a reliable system that should work for us long term.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
Nec makes a good system but your most important concern is to get a good tech to work with you, it makes all the difference in the world. As far as reliability goes they pretty much all last as long as you have a good tech to work with.

Hope this helps

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
Phone systems, especially regular digital key systems (not VOIP) are all about the same for your application from what you posted. The BIGGEST concern is your phone vendor. THAT company will make or break any system on the market. Do the research on the company and not the equipment so much..and we are an NEC dealer and the equipment is great..but so it everyone else in that range of digital key systems.

Remember a few things:

1. Cheapest is not always the BEST. Most telephone vendors do need to make a profit to continue doing business.

2. Check references. Best info is always word of mouth.

3. Do you like them? I mean you will have to basically form a long term relationship with this company and it should be beneficial to both.

4. How long have they been in business? A great indication that they know what they are doing. Check also to see if the name has changed a zillion times over the years also..and if it has ask why.

These are just a few things to think about. Good luck!

What Type of NEC were you Quoted?

"The Only Stupid Question, Is the Question Thats not Asked."
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
With no 'axe to grind' (I'm retired) I will say that there are probably 15 different brands that can fill your needs from 'so cheap it's scary' to !!!!!!!!!!!!. That said, most of all, it's the company! Check References REALLY, time in business, appearance of employees, and are they in-town or close by. Do they have whatever they are proposing installed nearby that you can visit? In the end, it's the after sale support! And unless you TRULY have, or foresee, a need for IP capabilities, don't consider it as a necessity when evaluating proposals. And a DIGITAL phone system is the norm. Don't let them dazzle you with 'catchwords'.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Susanna Offline OP
OP Offline
This is very helpful, thanks everyone! Rickman, it is a BKSU system. I think part of the problem with the last system must have been that the business who sold it to us went out of business not all that long afterwards. The company we've gotten a quote from so far has gotten praise from people I've talked with about them who are using phone systems from them.

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
The system might be a Vertical/Vodavi SBX IP 320 system. The BKSU is the designation for the main cabinet (Basic Key System Unit).

Ditto to all of the above. Make sure you're comfortable with the techs and the owners. Ask to see a system in operation---get a look at and feel the phones. We are a small company, but we have 6 different manufacturers/phone systems up and running in our shop. I always invite prospective customers to come in and take a look at what we have. Good Luck!!

I Agree with Racedog, This not a NEC Number. Sounds Like a Vertical/Vodavi.

"The Only Stupid Question, Is the Question Thats not Asked."
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Originally posted by Susanna:
The company we've gotten a quote from so far has gotten praise from people I've talked with about them who are using phone systems from them.
Do you see problem with getting references provided by a company who is trying to sell you something? I worked for a company in the past that would give you the last 5 customers, rather than presenting the 'polished' apples.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Another thing to look at when out "shopping" for price is that you are getting everything you need. There have been instances in the past where something is realling cheap but a lot of things are over-looked until install date.(Oooh you have paging well that is an extra $, Oh you have a a bunch of fax machines there more $)

Sometimes this is actually done on purpose but mostly it is because the salesperson/customer relationship doesn't start off on the right foot.
You should expect a lot of questions you don;t readily know the answer to and expect those questions explained to you. Most quality shops want to know your application intimately to give you the BEST solution for the price.
A few things to also look for: Training, What type and how much are they going to give? Changes, If you don't like how something operates, will they do changes over a period of time as part of the install.
Most systems now offer remote programming over a network connection. If the company suggest running a data cable to the system take it (even if it is an extra $100-$200), most companies offer a reduced rate for remote programming which could save you tons of money in the future.

Most of all, entertain a change in how the system operates although dratically different you find it far more efficient, BUT also make sure it works in a way that everyone is happy.

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,322
Posts638,969
Members49,779
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,270 Shoretel
190,552 CTX100 install
188,987 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rupert, igor11176, hamishegg, Rphoneguy, Kahm310
49,779 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 16
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
whoami 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Rupert), 140 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024