Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
I was at a site today for a customer (small prison) that has what looks to be a Radio Shack box with 12 DPST toggle switches that they use to turn the inmate phones on and off from the main control room.

They've asked me to come up with something more professional-looking and compact, but I don't know of anything like that that is commercially-available.

In the past, I've encountered this requirement in other prisons and even hospitals so that SLTs can be turned on/off on the fly, but they were larger and I just used modified ComKey message waiting consoles with 40 locking buttons.

This application is much smaller, so I was hoping for something small, inexpensive and simple. Any ideas?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

KLD Offline
Ed,

How about the Decora electrical LV switches that pulled contactors for high volt lighting? Has a nice cover and fits right into a box.

The other would be using "door box" relays and dial the code from a phone.

Or throw in an old KXTA 624, put the SLT as stations, set DAY as normal, set NIGHT as restricted....no outgoing calls. Push the NIGHT button any time and shut them all off.

Just a couple of thoughts.......

Ken
---------
Remember that there is beauty in simplicity. Rocker switches don't require power and the ON/OFF status is readily apparent.
Mike

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
What about a 2-gang box, with a blank cover (Stainless Steel would look "purdy") & mount your 12 dip switches on it?

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Ed, are you looking for something that would be on a wall plate and could be installed flush in the wall? There are a couple of companies that will make custom plates (I don't mean electrical type plates) that the commercial audio industry among others go to for specials. They will make anything that you can sketch out. I would use rocker switches and there are many to choose from in electronics catalogs.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
How about a single rocker switch to operate a 24VDC relay with multiple NC contacts that would open up the tip lead going to the 2500 set. Use a split 66 block to keep the wiring from getting too messy. Go a little farther and put the relay on a timer switch for automatic on/off at a specific time of day/night.

OP Offline
This would be surface-mounted. At present, they just have a plastic "project box" with a blank aluminum cover mounted on the cinder block wall. Flush mounting won't be an option. Holes were drilled to accommodate the eight toggle switches.

Bob, they need the ability to control each phone individually, so the multiple relay pole idea won't work for this scenario. I thought about using an off-the-shelf power failure relay unit until they told me they need separate control.

I do like the idea of using Decora switches. I know that they make duplex ones, but I think I've even seen triple ones. If that's the case, three of them would work nicely with a three-gang plate and an FS box. I'll have to see if there are any that allow the feed source to be separated between the switches, like receptacles allow.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Ed, Leviton part number for three single pole Decora switches in a 1 gang housing is 1755-W (white)
I just called my local supply house, they have them, so they do exist smile

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Jeff, Ed was wondering whether that part allowed for three different (individual) supply leads, not just one supply that provided the "hot" to all three switches.

Justin

It is three separate single pole switches. Three separate hots, at least that's what I gathered.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,430 Shoretel
189,201 CTX100 install
187,442 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 142 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024