Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#22736 08/12/09 12:08 PM
OP Offline
Got stumped today.What would cause 4 ground start lines which are testing ok at the demarc, but when they go into the subs NEC PBX the lines are "picked up" but when you try to enter an extension,you hear the buttons beep but you aren't directed anywhere.You are defaulted to the operator who then connects you through.This is happening only on 4 lines out of more ground start lines going into the PBX.The NEC tech changed some cards but to no avail.Could DTMF be an issue?If so how is it tested?How or who can see it and adjust it?The switch is a DMS100.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#22737 08/12/09 12:17 PM
Did you check polarity? Can you seize the lines from the PBX and call out?

welcome

Retired phone dude
#22738 08/12/09 12:36 PM
OP Offline
No,didn't think to check polarity.Verizon's mantra is usually if dial tone is good at the demarc,you're done.At the demarc with the subs PBX inline,I was able to ANI the line and make a call with my test set.

#22739 08/12/09 12:47 PM
You may be able to make a call from the Demarc, but your butt set doesn't care about polarity the PBX does. Not saying that's the problem but I'd sure verify it before going any further. You can select a trunk from the PBX console can't you? Do it from there and see if you can call out. My moneys on reversed polarity.

Retired phone dude
#22740 08/12/09 01:09 PM
This is the way we checked for rev. polarity when I worked on the Dimension product line at PT&T.
monitor the line at the demark with your test set,using a wire attached to ground touch the side of the bp you believe to be the ring of the line, if you hear DT the line is not reversed. IF not touch the other side; if you hear DT that is the ring side.
if the line is correct at the demark continue testing all the way thru any cross connects all the way to the pbx.
This works because if you are going off hook with your test set you are placing a short on the line and the ground is bring up the co circuit, how ever if you are monitoring the line you are only grounding 1 wire towards the co and are able to determine which is the ring side.

#22741 08/12/09 01:11 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
TommyB52:

When you make test calls with your butt set, did you have to ground one side of the line to draw dial tone? If not, thenVerizon doesn't have the trunks set for ground start.

I'd tend to think that if polarity was reversed, these trunks would be ringing in constantly.

My bet is that Verizon is using some form of pair gain equipment on these trunks that has not been configured properly. They may have done such a conversion without anyone's knowledge.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#22742 08/12/09 01:39 PM
The old NEC NEAX2400 had to have proper grounding for GS trunks to work. There was also a loop plug on one side of each PIM that needed to be in place when you used only one power supply per PIM. I have seen them work great while you were programming with a terminal that was grounded and the trunks would quit when you removed the programming terminal.

#22743 08/12/09 01:45 PM
OP Offline
I had to ground the tip side to get Dial tone and the lines are on copper not pair gain.The PBX was the vendor's responsibility to maintain so I couldn't physically change a port, the vendor had to do it.I grounded the side that didn't have 48 volts. If I go back there I'll check the polarity.Am I wrong but I thought on a ground start loop, with the butt set on,you were supposed to ground the tip side(without the 48 volts) not the ring.I have 15 years as a splicer but ground starts,DIDs,p-sets are a little new to me.Thanks for all the info so far.

#22744 08/12/09 02:58 PM
If you have a butt set across the pair, and switched ON, then grounding either side will ground the ring side, because they are connected together via the buttset. This does not accomplish anything.

To determine accurately which is the ring side, just put your KS meter from ground to both sides, one side at a time. The ring will have -48 volts on it, just like the ring side of a loop-start line. The tip side will be open, with a healthy kick back to the CO. It will look like a line that has an open tip at the frame.

Watching the tip side with the meter, ground the ring with a piece of wire. The CO will see the ground, and cut-through the tip at the CO equipment.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#22745 08/12/09 03:33 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by tommyb52:
Got stumped today.What would cause 4 ground start lines which are testing ok at the demarc, but when they go into the subs NEC PBX the lines are "picked up" but when you try to enter an extension,you hear the buttons beep but you aren't directed anywhere.You are defaulted to the operator who then connects you through.This is happening only on 4 lines out of more ground start lines going into the PBX.The NEC tech changed some cards but to no avail.Could DTMF be an issue?If so how is it tested?How or who can see it and adjust it?The switch is a DMS100.Any help is greatly appreciated.
Are you using Ground Start Trunks for Incoming? When you say the lines are "picked up" but you aren't directed anywhere - are you trying to call in and reach an extension?

I ask this because in all the years I worked on PBXs, Incoming trunks were either:
A) DIDs, which are loop start or
B) E&M which are loop start (well they're not Ground Start) or
C) Analog ICTs, which were also Loop Start

I'm sure that Incoming Trunks could be Ground Start, but I never saw one. Maybe these are supposed to be Out Going Trunks?

If I'm misunderstanding you then please correct me. If these are OGTs and you can't dial out then I would agree with the other guys and say - definitely a polarity reversal.

Try a quick and dirty (and easy) test. Reverse the polarity of the line, reconnect it and test it.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,337
Posts639,053
Members49,785
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,570 Shoretel
190,894 CTX100 install
189,318 1a2 system
Newest Members
gianluca, Micheal C, etel, AVO-IT, wierderal
49,785 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Yoda 14
Rupert 11
tim10 10
Toner 6
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Skunky), 105 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024