Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
smags Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all. I would like to use Cat5e patch panels at the phone closet for both the phone and data lines. I purchsed some 12 port Cat5e patch panels which have 110 punchdowns in the back and RJ45 jacks on the front (Leviton). Everything is homerun wired to all the drop locations. I have three cat5e cables to each drop (one dedicated for phones, one for data, and one extra). The patch panel makes perfect sense to me for the ethernet data lines. However, I'm a little unsure of the use of the patch panel for distributing the 4 phone lines to the drops. Does it make sense to terminate all of the drop phone cables at the closet with rj45 modular plugs (t568B) and just plug them into the patch panel?? I'm thinking I could "bridge" all of the ports on the back with some individual strands of the cat5 wire using the 110 punchdowns and then just put an rj45 plug on the incoming telco cat5e (which has 4 separate lines on it) and just plug it into one of the patch panel ports?? Since I have four seperate phone lines, will this work? Can I just stick to the 568B pattern on the incoming telco Cat5 and just plug it into one of the ports? Since I bridged them all, they should all be live right? Last question, at the drops, I'm assuming it is not a problem to break out the pairs and install separate rj11 jacks for each line/pair on the wallplates?? I'm weighing this solution with using the Etcon 4/12 product (but with this product I don't see how you could troubleshoot and trace a single line with a toner - aren't they all connected to each other therefore you couldn't really trace a line? This is important becuase I am doing 17 nearly identical office/industrial units (all in the same building) and want the best most flexible setup for both me and my tenants. I know Leviton makes a 4 line 9 drop bridged distribution module but I am mounting to plywood and I don't really like the looks of this since it's made for the structured media center panels. Anyway thanks for reading, I would love to hear some of your professional opinions on what I am thinking here and the best way to go about this.
Thanks in advance
Smags

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
You would be much more satisfied with a small phone system to handle your 4+ phone lines.

Plus it would make your install look and perform like a professional installation.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Welcome to the board.

You are describing a scenario that does not fit well with your chosen occupation. Unless you e get some on site help---you're going to be spending much more time and much more money than is needed.

The questions you ask indicate that you are in over your head. Take a deep breath and find someone in the Installers Link on the top of this page. E-mail or call them and see if you can work something out.

Seventeen units that will be "flexible" & professional---need some professional help.

Don't try to stumble through this by yourself--and be sorry for the next twenty years or so.

JMHO Good Luck.

Are you gong to have a phone system, or 4 line phones?

If you are planning 4 line telephones it will be best to use the USOC wiring code instead of 568B. This means you will need to use USOC Patch Panel (although for this type of connection a 66 block is the preferred method), as well as USOC jacks at the station end for the voice.

If there will be an actual phone system installed, then you can probably get away with 568B. Depending on the system it could need a single pair or 2 pair connection at the jack.

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
I hate patch panels for phones, for any reason. Makes for a sloppy looking job.

Retired phone dude
smags Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, each tenant will install their own small phone system utilizing a professional installer (not me). I am simply doing the hard wiring for the units for the phone and the data and want an interface that any telephone installer would be pleased to work with. The patch panel is an easy decision for the data lines however, I also have to terminate all of the phone drops at the closet somehow (patch panel/66 block/110 etc. Just looking for some advice on how to terminate the phone drops in the closet. Each unit only has one Cat5e incoming from the telephone company so under this scenario it is a maximum of 4 POTS lines. They may only need two, it doesn't really matter to me, I'm just wanting to terminate the phone drops at the closet somehow and make an easy interface for the drops with the incoming telecom line(s)??? The actual phone system will be up to the tenant and their installer.

Use 66 blocks for the incoming co lines terminated on the left side. and the telephone drops terminated on the right side, if needed an additional 66 block can be installed under the first one for more telephone drops. The other installer can jumper to the phone system from the 66 block; and from the phone system to the 66 block.Or just loop thru the 66 blocks for 4 line phones. just be sure to mark both ends of the drops; for easy ID

Admin
Admin
Patch Panels are for data , punch blocks are for telephones. As Jim said use 66 blocks for you phones that way it will be easy for someone to install a phone system or add a looped jumper for the POTS line hook up. With 17 drops per office there could easily be tenants that want phone systems and more then 4 lines.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
OK, each tenant will install their own small phone system utilizing a professional installer (not me).

They are going to want 66 blocks and not patch panels. Why don't you get one of them to wire the whole job for you. :thumb:

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
The actual phone system will be up to the tenant and their installer.
let them terminate the cable on each end also

. I agree with whats been said so far ,not a DIY project time to call in a pro

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,622 Shoretel
189,510 CTX100 install
187,771 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 144 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024