Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#161032 01/08/08 03:53 PM
srd1 Offline OP
OP Offline
624 stopped working, cant get power to turn on. Is this system dead or is there some type of fuse I can replace? Would a new power cord help or is time for a new system? It is the oldest version 624.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#161033 01/08/08 04:15 PM
The system does have a fuse in it,
PQBA1C40NBKL FUSE
I don't believe it's end user replacable.
As I recall, it's soldered on the main board.
-------------
MrG

#161034 01/10/08 04:05 PM
after lightning storms, i've had several 624 systems appear to be dead -- same as yours.

to my suprise, i was able to get them back by simply taking them apart. remove any expansion cards, option cards and the ribbon cable from the power supply and doorcard, wait 5 minutes, plug back in the ribbon cable from the psupply and turn it on, if the power light doesn't work at that point, your system is probably n/g.

I assume you checked the a/c outlet for power.

#161035 01/11/08 07:49 AM
Originally posted by budweiser:
after lightning storms, i've had several 624 systems appear to be dead -- same as yours.

to my suprise, i was able to get them back by simply taking them apart. remove any expansion cards, option cards and the ribbon cable from the power supply and doorcard, wait 5 minutes, plug back in the ribbon cable from the psupply and turn it on, if the power light doesn't work at that point, your system is probably n/g.

I assume you checked the a/c outlet for power.
unless you are used to component level repairs
scrap it or send it of for repairs .lets face it that 624 is second to the bottom shelf now time to move on...

#161036 01/11/08 10:28 AM
SRD1, your customer's system might be unreparable, BUT if you tell your customer that their system is scrap and unrepairable and that it will cost a few hundred $$ to replace it. and they want a second opinion, and that other company comes in and fixes it with the 5 minute fix that i described, do you think they will ever call you or refer you again?

CW, don't you think he should do some basic troublshooting before he "scraps" the system.
Basic troubleshooting includes breaking the system down to it's lowest working configuration. He might just have a bad CallerID card or Doorphone card that is crashing the system.

you owe it to yourself and the customer to atleast try to repair their system. the procedure that i described in my earlier post worked for me on 4 out of 5 systems that appeared to be dead.
the few systems that i was able to bring back to life have not had any problems since then and the customers are still MY customers and refer me to others.

the 624 might be "second to the bottom shelf" but it has all of the features that the "averege" user needs.

#161037 01/11/08 12:08 PM
honestly I have never installed a system with
out lightning and surge suppression and when
a panasonic blows it blows big time I still have 624-1's out there and still humming away .yes there is a 1 percent chance that it will come back to life but doubtfull....that fuseable link can be jumped out very easy if you know what you are doing but if not it's a big waste of time

#161038 01/11/08 03:45 PM
i agree with CW... all systems should be sold with lightning and surge protection. but sometimes you inherit a customer that was not sold protection at the time of installation. you now have the oportunity to UPSELL that customer on protection.

who said that he should "jump-out" the fuse? even if the fuse is blown, you should never Jump-it out" all experienced techs know that jumping-out a fuse is a big NO-NO. eventhough CW mentioned it, I'm sure he is not suggesting that you do that.

all i am saying is that my experience with the 624 systems is that they have a tendancy to lets say "fake their death" and that i have been able to save some of my customers the expense of replacing the system, by simply unplugging the option cards and power supply and then putting the system back together. ( a two minute process)i too thaught that these systems were blown untill i did this. i'm not saying that this will bring back all 624 systems that appear dead.

out of the half dozen 624 systems that i had that appeared to be blown, all i had to replace was 1 of them.

good luck .... let us know what happens.

#161039 01/11/08 11:22 PM
OBT Offline
Admin
Admin
I am sorry to disagree but we put anti-surge plugs and lighting protection on systems but it is only a insurance issue, it does not stop lighting blowing the system, if it hits the lines it will take a bit of the surge bit some always hits the system. we install a lot of systems with ISDN and the terminal adtaptor taket the hit and saves the system most times

ups is the only power unit to protect the system from the mains.

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
#161040 01/12/08 01:02 PM
"who said that he should "jump-out" the fuse? even if the fuse is blown, you should never Jump-it out" all experienced techs know that jumping-out a fuse is a big NO-NO. eventhough CW mentioned it, I'm sure he is not suggesting that you do that"
that is exactly what i'dd do after I tried what you suggested before I was ready to
throw the defective unit in the trash or i'd
slave in a fuse with clips of = value as a last resort generally it cost's more to fix the unit then what is worth

#161041 01/12/08 03:04 PM
the suggestions and opinions that i post on this forum are meant only to help the other members with their technical problems.
i highly rccommend that nobody ever jump-out a fuse in order to fix a problem.
the last time i sent in a 624 to be repaired i believe panasonic charged me about 10 times less than it would cost to replace the unit with a new 824, 2 extension expansion cards, an extra cid card, and a doorphone card.

srd1, if you find that you can not bring the system back to life, i would suggest replacing it with a loaner and sending it in to panasonic for repair. ask them to call you with an estimate before they repair it. if you feel the repair cost is too high or they say it can not be repaired i would then offer the customer a new / upgraded system.

cw is correct, sometimes it is not worth rpairing an old system like the 624. my personal opinion is that most customers would rather have the system repaired if posible, saving the extra $$$ that it would cost to replace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,306
Posts638,894
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,903 Shoretel
189,998 CTX100 install
188,225 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 6
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Professor Shadow), 66 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024