I would have to agree with JWRacedog mostly concerning the pairs 2 pairs is much easier to deal with then 4

1. IF you have digital phones you are only dealing with 1 pair and in a cable that means 4 phones in one location and long as they are close to the original jack (you can also use a long line cord well hidden). As long as you have an honest Vendor/Tech he will use on of the pairs to hookup another Ext/Phone for you (Some companies will tell you that they have to run a new cable no matter what you have it's always best to know what you have and what it's capable of)

2. CMDL_GUY pointed out RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) I had a customer with an analog system that would always pickup the gospel channel an AM station in our area and would get yelled at by customers saying are you making me listen to religion (it was also picked up when customer was on hold) after putting filters on everything you could still hear it in the background but not as loud. We recently upgraded the customer to a digital phone system and no more RFI.

Those are two reasons based on your comments that digital would be my preference. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

[This message has been edited by WhiteStar (edited August 09, 2003).]