web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#10961 04/26/06 12:36 PM
I was talking to an interconnect owner a few years back who had an interesting spin on this problem. He had two separate incidents where he hired a new tech and after spending thousands of dollars sending them on all the official NEC training, they were hired away by NEC.

He was a little bitter about that.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#10962 04/27/06 03:11 AM
OP Offline
I know that change is a natural part of business and life, and that everyone starts out somewhere. My problem isnt competition, and it isnt that I feel like they are endentured slaves.

Heres my problem: I play by the rules. I dont take anything from anyone. When I make a sale, I dont trick them into it, or lie to them to make it. Two people meet on equal ground and come to an arrangement that is beneficial to both parties. When we started our company, we didnt take anything from our previous employer. Customers, Equipment, etc and I never worked on my own company on someone else's dime.

I know this is just business and we arent supposed to take it personally, but the more I hear that the more I think it is absolutely wrong. There is nothing more personal to me than my business, and the fruits of my effort. Anyone who tries to take what is mine, and what I have earned by either deception or force is not just taking those things from me, he is violating the rules I live by, and has no place in my life.

Being in Green Bay, you see this posted around alot, and I think it applies:

"It is a reality of life that men are competitive and the most competitive games draw the most competitive men. That's why they are there — to compete. To know the rules and objectives when they get in the game. The object is to win fairly, squarely, by the rules — but to win"
- Vince Lombardi

Mitel, Samsung, CTP+ and A+ Certified.
#10963 04/27/06 03:25 AM
I do not think that the problem is leaving a company that may have trained you....it is in HOW you leave. If you dilligently put in your notice, make it known to your boss that you appreciate what he/she has done for you and that you are just trying to make it on your own then I think that things would go much better.

I once had an employee litterally LIE about having medical problems, a failing marriage and loosing his house just so that he could get time off to start his own company. NONE of the things he said were true. Had he taken the high road and said what was really on his mind then things would have been much better. In the end he could not make it in the same city and had to move a few hours south, but was it really worth his reputation, and his integrity? A man (or woman) is built on their integrity, without it you are nothing and can NEVER be trusted in business or life.

Honestly, there is no reason to lie, like what has been said, people are free to start their own company, they may as well do it with class. Everyone started somewhere, but is it all in HOW you start that makes all the difference in the world.

Steve

#10964 04/27/06 12:20 PM
I think that this is something that ANYONE who hires an employee has to face, prepare for and deal with. It's just part of the wonderful world of business ownership.

What truly really baffles me is all the lying and BS that manufacturers do. I mean we all hear the stories from old as well as new product mfg's (some even on this board) about how they value distributors, and want to build a channel and treat all the installer/resellers fairly yatti ya and then stab you in the back by taking your bigger deals direct, or giving different priing to say internet stores who don't install then they do to you.

They somehow believe that you won't find out and think that somehow this will increase their total sales. Look at Avaya and Panny with all their gray market crap. Do they actually think that their increasing total sales by taking it away from an authorized dealer who follows the rules and commits to trying to meet number and giving it to a gray market guy?
That's what I truly don't get.

I went through this with Polycom Video conferencing. They figured, oh if there are 10 dealers selling 500 units then 100 dealers will sell 5000.. They whored it out to every internet catalog store that forked out some buck and guess what, their sales didn't go up because every honest guy who was out there working hard on getting the unit out there and promoting it said screw this. One mfg is doing the same thing now. Great product, NILL channel support or protection and their taking the profit and the customers. It may work in the short run, but not for long.

C

#10965 04/27/06 04:46 PM
BacherJr, One answer might be to have your tech's sign some kind of agreement that they can't/won't leave the company (and start their own) after x amount of year's, after training .... continued training....(And ya know they wont like that. argue )

Altimatly, Everyone Goes to where the MONEY is.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
#10966 10/20/06 08:47 AM
You must get all employees to sign a non-compete and non-disclosure agreement. This means they can't legally do business with your clients or give your client list to others. Without this type of agreement there is not much you can do.

People only do what they know how to do and then only if there is some reward in it for them. If you want to encourage a behavior, first you must teach it, then you must measure it, and then you must reward it. Train - Measure - Reward.

There are many kinds of rewards. Money is one, but rivalry and recognition are other very strong rewards that are based on instinct and don't cost you anything except the time to think out how to use them.

Resentment is a waste of time. If they leave, you are probably better off without them. Very often they will return to you either as employees, subcontractors or partners.

#10967 10/20/06 05:03 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
How true, Mike:

In my experience, the bad ones go to work for competitors who are offering unrealistic wages and benefits. These people are offered wages for what they claim they can earn for the company, not what they are actually capable of earning for the company. Many times, these people come with heavy baggage but greed clouds a new employer's judgement. I admit that I fell for that a few times and regret it to this day. Never again, that's for sure!

Anyone who would hire someone without demanding a reference from their current employer is a fool. People lie so much. When a prospective employee requests that you NOT contact their current employer, well there's your sign. Red flag for sure.

I have a very stringent anti-competition agreement in place as part of our basic employee handbook. I could and I should sue the people who break this, but in reality, it's usually good riddance to let the competition deal with them. If they were costing me, they are costing someone else even more.

Now on the other hand, the few that were honest enough to tell the truth upon leaving are different. If I can't match a competitive wage, that's fair game and I appreciate the opportunity to match it. If they were starting their own company, changing careers, etc., they have my respect. I have even helped some of them get started out. Several are still in the area and others are in different areas of the country. I always go to them first to refer business since I know their caliber and quality.

Honesty is the best policy. Dishonest people belong in their own puddle of mud. It's been raining quite a bit around here lately.

[Linked Image from imagehost.biz]

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#10968 10/23/06 01:25 AM
Where I work I had to sign a "no competetion" agreement. If I part ways from my employer I cannot set up my own company for 36 months in the same area. I am free to go to another city or state to set up shop, but not here in my employers territory. Just my two cents worth.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and panicking like the passengers in his car.

#10969 10/23/06 01:48 AM
This is an April post ???

#10970 10/23/06 09:35 AM
Employment is not slavery. You do not have to move out of town to earn a living if your present job ends. This is against public policy and the case law.

Many non-compete agreements are written that way, but the law will not enforce them. I have even heard of lawyers writing agreements they knew were not enforceable just to scare lay people. Of course dishonest lawyers are the exception. :thumb:

A non-compete agreement must be reasonable as to time, place and scope for it to be enforceable. You may be able to stop a former employee from stealing your clients, but you cannot stop him from dealing with anyone and everyone in town!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,867
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,675 Shoretel
189,660 CTX100 install
187,871 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 144 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024