Originally Posted by LenShustek
Originally Posted by hbiss
I'm really thinking that the line goes off hook when you plug it into the system for some reason.
But if that were true, wouldn't I not receive calls on that line? Incoming calls work fine.

Yes, I have to agree.

It seems like the line goes off hook when I pick up the receiver, but then the CO immediately interprets something as an auto-dialed "1". After I dial 7 digits, I get the message "We're sorry. It's not necessary to dial a 1 when calling this number".

That's what I speculated above. Possibly the other lines are able to ignore it but not the third line. Different equipment? The system might cause a noise pulse that's interpreted as a "1" when it goes off hook. I believe there are relays for each line and they have to be at least 30 years old.

Again, I would want to listen in on the CO lines as the system goes off hook. That would give you the answer.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.