Well, I've thought over the input form everyone here. I've also done some observing here in St. Louis on my own. I am seeing very small hosted systems in very small companies with a small handful of employees. But I am also seeing just as many, if not more, new IP enabled traditional systems. NEC, Toshiba, Mitel, and Vertical in particular seem to be popping up all over (and ShoreTel too). I've also noticed a few companies that had gone to new, all IP systems dumping them in favor of equipment from traditional vendors. A local grocery store chain that dumped their NEC and Tie equipment for Cisco a decade ago is back to using Avaya systems (maybe that's a bad example given the latest with Avaya). It's a changing market, but not done. I also realize that as these traditional systems start to incorporate IP phones and trunks, my IT knowledge won't go to waste. I think it's worth making a go of it.

All that said, I found out the university I went to retired its Fujitsu 9600 for a hosted system. Kind of surprised me that a hosted solution replaced such a large system. Either way, I think I can find my place in a telecom career.

Last edited by Andyreed; 02/06/17 01:01 AM.