The impact here is noticeable. We are installing voice and data lines in a new store in a mall. The Verizon tech that installed the drop said "everything's fine." I checked the two data T-1 circuits. One works. The 4 voice lines are dead.

In tracing the feed cables, I discovered the cable carrying the voice lines doesn't go anywhere.

I spoke to the mall manager and told him I will install a new feed cable. He said that the mall management had received 4 calls about cut cables and plugs pulled out of smart jacks.

Several of our customers that were expecting new service did not even get a call from Verizon that there may be a delay. The cut date came and went with no service.

Here, in western PA, the union screwed the membership, royally, back in the early 70s by demanding that all poles 40' and over would have to be installed, during a night emergency, by a contractor. Bell Telephone employees would not be putting themselves at risk at night. The strike lasted 6 months. Bell Telephone finally caved and agreed. The strike ended. Bell Telephone discovered, much to the dismay of the union, that it was cheaper for Bell Telephone to contract out emergency pole replacement than to have their own employees do it.

Over the years, more and more Outside plant work was contracted out. Then the same thing happened in the new CO installs. It now has come to the point where the union is trying to fight losing more work to contractors.

I'm not condemning the unions. I was a union steward for several years, however, I think this is a real case of shooting yourself in the foot to resolve a problem with walking. Once the union gave away those jobs, the company has been hard at work figuring out how to take more away and contract it out.

My heart goes out to the people on strike. I know what that is. I pray for a speedy resolution.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet