Well, I'm not sure what a "cacheep" is, so I'm not sure what he's doing.

The unit looks to be a 4 wire to 2 wire converter. We used these things when we had a 4 wire (usually E&M) circuit going to a location and wanted to put a 2 wire circuit across it. 4 wire circuits offered greater fidelity then 2 wire and were in common use in private and public networks. Your standard telephone is a 4 wire device (See the handset - 2 wires for transmit, 2 for receive) that is converted into a 2 wire device by the network in the phone.

I remember a time at the Bank....Our valued customer wanted a ring down (hot line) circuit between NYC and a facility they had in Utica. Of course they didn't want to pay for a leased line, nor did they want a dial up circuit.

The Data department had a T-3 that ran to Utica and offered us a channel on it, but the only available voice circuits were 4 wire. We used one of these cards at each end and fed a hot line circuit out of the PBX into it. It worked fine and may still be working yet. who knows?

I may have a 48v power supply. I'll look. You may need a ring generator too (I'm pretty sure I have one of those) and you will definitely need a tellabs card rack. These cards WILL NOT fit into a 1A2 card slot.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"