CaptainSnapple:

ShoreTel has a couple of solutions to handle inbound calls. You are correct in stating that you can only have 8 hunt groups per switch (switches can be stackable--so do not confuse "switch" as one location).

The slickest way is to set up what ShoreTel refers to as "Workgroups". If agents have what is referred to as "Agent Call Manager" then they get get as visual notification of a VM message that is left in a workgroups mailbox. This notification can either be programmed on a soft key on the IP phone model 530 or 560. The best way to get voice mail messages left in workgroups VM box is through the ShoreTel "VoiceMail Viewer." Employees part of the Workgroup that have Agent Call Manager will be able to see New Messages, Old Messages, and Deleted Messages in all the Workgroups that they are a part of. You can have up to 128 Workgroups per ShoreTel system.

The most compelling aspect of the ShoreTel system is your workgroups can be distributed across multiple locations. For example, I could have a Sales Workgroup queue and agents can be located in California, Florida, New York....anywhere on the Network...in an branch office...in a home...wherever. In the latest release...I can be located in my house...VPN to network and tell the system that I am located at my house, hotel, cell phone and get workgroup calls via the PSTN..At this point it is toll quality voice...not IP...but you have to pay for the call.

This is all inherit in the ShoreTel system....they are no add-on adjuncts for this functionality....Only a small one-time licensing fee.