I have an old, Western Electric 1-BA Telephone Answering Set from 1964 that I am fixing up. It looks identical to this one:
https://www.cedarknolltelephone.com/cedartel/1ba.jpg
I am trying to connect it to my home phone line, but having no luck and it is driving me crazy! I have tried combinations of connections yielding dial tone, or sound, or dial, or receive, but not all of them and the attached phone won't ring. I assume I have something connected wrong.
On the back is a terminal strip I cannot decipher with 13 terminals labeled thus:
[A][B][C][D][E][F][G][T][R][K1][G1][T1][R1]
There are jumpers connecting [A]and[B], [C]and[D], and [K1]and[G1]. Also, the wires leading to the phone are connected: Green to [T1] and red to [R1]. It is hardly user-friendly, and requires the removal of the whole cover just to get at it. Probably also a phone technician to install it!
On the side of the unit is a phono plug port, like you would plug large headphones into or something. Hoping this might be the interface, I tried variations there too but to no avail.
After staring at countless links via Google for several days trying to find the answer for myself, I am at my wit's end! Please help me make sense of the terminal strip, and how to connect it up.
Thank you all for reading this.