Originally posted by Silversam:
Originally posted by TeletypeJoe:
[b] Wow, the craftsmanship of that thing is amazing. I doubt that even if someone was willing to pay what something like that would be worth, that it could not be done anymore (outside of collectors and enthusiasts, of course).

I wish that we as a nation/society could manufacture things of that nature again.

Joe
Joe -

As far as soldering - that's one of the classes I teach at the IBEW apprentice school - because no one knows how to do it anymore. It's just a damn shame.

Sam [/b]
Hi Sam

Soldering is one thing that I can do really well. When I was a kid, I cut my teeth on heathkit, then when I was in my 30's, I hand built AM bcb receivers with point to point soldered connections, using NOS IF coils and vacuum tubes. When the IF coils became unobtainable, I spent way too much money on an old NOS coil winder by some cash register company (forget the name), had to improve it by having a machinist install bearings and make me a truly straight winding shaft, and made hand wound IF coils on lucite dowel stock. I lost interest when I could no longer buy the nitrocellulose lacqure candyapple paint for the chassis, and the tubes became a small investment unto themselves. (I used "G" style tubes.)

Now as far as wirewrapping, I am terrible at that. I have had nobody to teach me the correct methods of making a decent wire wrap connection.

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!