But the ones I am talking about are customers that are not in locations where anyone else have ever shared incoming facilities with anyone.

Ah, OK. If you are indeed talking about a demarc on the customer's premises and not a terminal then somebody has dropped the ball and not disconnected the unused pairs on the drop cable at the terminal end.

As Justbill points out it is standard procedure for counts to overlap at different terminals which would mean that the same pair would be present at multiple terminals.

Only one terminal will serve the customer the pair was intended for. That pair would also be working at any other terminal where it was present and nothing should be connected to those binding posts.

If a drop was left connected to one of these working pairs obviously then you are going to have that line on the demarc.

So to answer your question now that I think I understand it, no there should not be any lines on the customer's demarc other than their own.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.