Originally posted by dwflood:
I open a jack and see that he used 6-conductor jacks for voice, but wired them '568B' (sort of). He had white/org pair on pins 1 and 2. white/green on pin 3. blue/white on pin 4. white/blue on pin 5 and green/white on pin 6.
That's not 568B, it's just plain wrong. 6p6c jacks get wired to USOC standards, not 568-anything. Learning it takes all of five minutes (less when the colors are marked right on the keystones), so you got an especially dumb IT guy who punched them down.

"And the brown pair, wrapped around the cable, probably not sure what to do with it..."

Most jacks we wire are set up as RJ14 (even if the plans call for just RJ11), so the green and brown pairs are neatly wrapped around the cable.

Leviton 6p6c keystones have a set of 'dummy terminals' for the brown pair - it can be punched down, but it isn't connected to any of the pins. We never punch down the brown pair on the jack end (unless it's data).

"If color coding and labeling isn't enough to prevent someone from trying to plug in a modem into a telephone system port, then that person has other issues."

True, but I prefer 6pxc for telephone and 8p8c for data because it's more idiot-resistant.

"Using the PROPER jacks for the cable is the mark of a craftsman. Jamming a round peg into a square hole isn't. 4 pair cable uses 8p8c jacks, 3 pair cable uses 6p6c jacks and 2 pair cable uses 4p4c jacks."

For PLUGS I would agree with you. With jacks I'd agree with Hal.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.