Originally posted by Techie-type:
Hi TechGuy:
Sometimes "cooling" means just removing the drive from the device long enough for it to come to room temp, though I've had to resort to refrigerating and even freezing a drive to get it to work. Sometimes heating the drive works, though I usually try cooling first.
One of my laptops started having problems when it was 90º outside, I brought it inside and dropped the temp down to 65º and got it running long enough to back up everything I needed. The drive finally died the next day.

Customer called me Friday, Windows couldn't find the OS on his leptop. It had been sitting in his truck all day and was quite hot. Told him to cool it down, save what he needs and take it back under warranty (3 years from Best Buy).

Originally posted by Techie-type:
Hi TechGuy:
Older drives (such as the Seagate 20MB drives) often had motors that would not spin up. ... The "cure" was to box up the drive in its original shipping container, and drop it onto the floor from a height of about 3 feet! Today, though, I don't recommend this sort of "shock treatment!"
I had an IBM clone about fifteen years ago. The 10 Meg drive did not like warm weather running sideways up, cooling fan next to it kept it running. Finally got to the point I had to lift the whole case up a quarter inch and drop it on the table to start it up.