Hopefully someone has some ideas. Our Comdial DXP system w/about 55 phones randomly locks or freaks out. We have about 55 phones, all pots lines (no PRI or T1), and the newer Keyvoice VM w/CTI server.

When the problems occur, the lights/displays on the phones will stay locked in their current state, people who pick up the phone will not get a dial tone, but calls that were already in progress will stay that way. Serial console on the server card will stay active, and nothing shows up wrong in the status logs. Once the problem occurs, the wide open office and keyvoice lose serial connectivity (they use a serial card on the AUX board). The only way to fix it is to power the system down and back up.

Our phone people have replaced the system ram, and suggested I look for bad phones with the intercom light blinking, or to watch for error lights on the system boards. I've seen them in the past but replaced them all. Just about all our phones are 8024S's, most of which are 10 years old.

I've watched for error lights on the system boards, ran around and checked phones I suspected to be the problem, and constantly check status logs. Today a user reported a buzzing sound and their call being dropped - and of course, the system locked for a minute and came back to life on its own. Serial ports weren't working as usual after that.

I'm suspecting the system power supply due to the buzzing symptom, but my phone people don't seem to think there's any problems with it (I've yet to see them even so much as bring in a meter and check it). I do believe it could be 1-2 bad phones too but if so they're impossible to find!! We are in the insurance biz and phones are extremely critical to us. Anyone have any clues as to why our system would act up like this?!

Thanks in advance,

Jeff G
Langhorne, PA

Mitel 3300Mxe running MCD 4.0, 5340 Phones