I recently took on the task of installing 2 Cat5e cable runs specifically for the purpose of installing 2 wirless access points in the courtyard of a local inn. See Courtyard Here

One of my duties was to call the CG of record at the Inn to explain what he would be expected to purchase and configure and I would do the actual install. In other words he was to bring the access device, connect it up using standard patch cable to the network router and then I would haul it up to the remote location later and properly install it.

Well the first thing I wasn't comfortable with was his choice of a Lynksys network router. I have nothing against Lynksys however I would have preferred a true Access Point instead.

Yesterday 6/20/08 the CG came by and did his thing while I was elsewhere. The CG and the property owner were not able to get the signal they wanted right there at 10ft, but they figured it would be better when it was moved further away from the other network devices. If I had been there I would have brought them to their senses by correctly explaining that if it won't work there it dern sure ain't gonna work way over yonder, but I wasn't so that's that.

I go today and do a fine job of installing the unit where it was supposed to be. All nice and neat, well protected, thief proof and antennas exposed. Sure enough you can just barely get a low signal at 15 measly feet. no walls or obstructions.

Well you can guess where this is going! I'll have to call the CG and request that he evaluate whatever it is they evaluate and the first thing he will focus on will be the cable. I have no worries there, I'll run a test on the cable in front of him if need be but what I want to do is move on to the real problem and get it resolved.

Please advise me with information on a wireless router as opposed to a true access point and any other information you might have.

One more thing of importance. I have a social relationship with the owners of this location and if the access point does not perform I will be cooking for myself and I don't want to do that again. help