I’m thinkin’ this answer is real simple…

ADC does not make a HDSL repeater. eek I just took a look through their complete product catalog I recently picked up. The only repeaters (doublers) that I knew of and could find in the catalog were made were for conventional T1 format DS1 signal.

The HDSL family of products (HDSL 1st generation HDSL on 4-wire) HDSL2 (2nd generation on 2-wire) and HDSL4 (3rd generation on 4-wire, long reach and repeatable) has a proprietary format that is not compatible with conventional T1 format signal or units.

It sounds like to me that you had a HDSL type card in the C.O. and was trying to use an ADC conventional T1 repeater in it. That wouldn’t fly at all!

What you probably should have done is placed an Adtran H4RE p/n: 1223445l? (Assuming 239 mechanics housing) for an HDSL4 loop…. OR maybe if it happen to be a 1st genoration plain HDSL, placed an Adtran HRE p/n: 1246045L? (again assuming 239 mechanics housing) for a plain HDSL loop.

BTW... FYI to anyone on repeatered HDSL loops. Per Adtran HDSL2 (2-wire) loops should not be repeatered (unless you know ADSL will not ever be in the same cable count.)

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)