I've been working on all different systems since the early eightys and I've had this complaint on various systems using all the different O/S variations (MS-DOS, UNIX, DR-DOS, and even proprietary) Through countless hours of testing and trouble shooting we usually find pilot error to be the problem. Below are the most common reasons. Other than these, some form of disk defragmentation usually has cured the symptom.

:> The user has no password or the default password and has mistakenly logged into another mailbox with "no messages"
:> The user is looking at the phone system clock or some other independant clock and the voicemail clock is not "n-sync"
:> The user received the message from somebody in another time zone and forgot to "do the math"
:> The user "thought" he logged in at 5pm just before he/she left; although, it was friday and he or she sneaked out at 3:15 and forgot.

Remember, I said most of the time it was one of these things. It only takes a minute to run a scandisk and defrag on a DOS machine.

------------------
Tim Payson
https://www.cobotyx.com

Tim Payson
Progressive Consulting
Henniker, NH 03242
(602) 315-5194

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill" - Lao Tzu