Just because you're EC doesn't mean that you can do alarm.

Depends on the location or state. Most allow an EC to do anything including security. That's what empowers these guys to do anything for a buck, especially if they have their foot in the door already. What customers don't realize is that qualifications and experience are prerequisites for doing something for money, and these guys have absolutely none.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for licensing as a way to qualify and especially standards do be implemented. As long as there are no safety issues the rest is for the customer and marketplace to sort out. We all know that most customers are dumb as mud when it comes to techincal stuff so the name of the game is the job goes to whoever provides the most convincing story. If you are an EC show them your truck that says "licensed Contractor" on it along with telephone, data, CATV, and electrical work. If you are a CG or IT "professional", show them the diplomas you have for a masters in computer husbandry.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.